OGP is establishing an Independent Reporting Mechanism (IRM) as a key means by which all stakeholders can track progress and impact among OGP participating governments, as well as promote strong accountability between member governments and citizens. OGP will issue regular independent assessment reports for each OGP participating government. The IRM is charged of overseeing this process on behalf of OGP to ensure its credibility and independence. The IRM will be overseen by an international expert panel (IEP) of 8 individuals—five technical/policy experts and 3 high-profile senior advisors—appointed by the OGP Steering Committee following a public nominations process. This 8 member expert panel will develop a common assessment questionnaire for local country researchers to fill out in all OGP countries, and provide final review of these assessments to ensure that the highest standards of research and due diligence are applied for every report. The Independent Expert Panel (IEP) will be supported by a small project management team, comprised of an IRM Program Manager and a Program Assistant who will be based within the OGP Support Unit (SU).
OGP is looking for a dynamic, self-motivated individual with substantial experience in the governance sector and research management to serve as the IRM Project Manager. This position offers the opportunity to oversee the development of a unique multi-country governance assessment effort, working directly with governments and civil society from over 50 countries, in close partnership with the OGP International Expert Panel (IEP). The IEP will be a prestigious group of leading academics/policy experts and high profile advisors from around the world. Key responsibilities of the Project Manager will include working with the IEP to develop an assessment questionnaire/template for all OGP countries, helping to identify local researchers for OGP’s participating countries, working closely with each of the selected local researchers, shepherding draft reports through a government and IEP review process, preparing final reports for publication, and assisting in report outreach and dissemination. The IRM Program Manager will also be charged with overseeing the IRM Program Assistant, and keeping the OGP Steering Committee and Support Unit informed and engaged throughout this process as appropriate.
- Convening the International Expert Panel (IEP) to oversee processes related to identifying local researchers; developing an IRM template and detailed guidance for local researchers and; identifying and rolling out technology/tools to help local researchers collect IRM inputs within OGP countries
- Ensuring that OGP’s relevant sub-committees and the Support Unit are well-briefed and substantively engaged with work of IEP/IRM as appropriate
- Project managing the IRM report drafting process with local researchers, and trouble-shooting any questions/concerns that arise
- Sharing draft IRM reports with government representatives and IEP experts and working with local researchers to address comments and concerns
- Supporting the IEP in preparing an overall summary report on country IRM findings for publication
- Supporting roll-out strategy for IRM reports via press releases, website, media, civil society networks, events, etc…in tandem with other OGP SU staff
- Overseeing the IRM Program Officer
- Overseeing the IRM Budget and providing periodic reports to OGP Support Unit and Steering Committee
- · Advanced degree or equivalent experience in international affairs or relevant field (e.g. political science, law, economics)
- · A minimum of 5 years experience in the governance field
- · Strong background in monitoring/evaluation and research
- · Substantial experience managing multi-country research projects that involve governments, the private sector, international financial institutions and the donor community.
- · Experience working directly with governments and/or civil society coming from a variety of regional and developmental contexts
- · Experience managing a large number of staff/consultants in dispersed locations to deliver time-sensitive outputs on deadline
- · Ability to work flexibly and independently on tight timelines with a wide range of team members around the world, with strong attention to detail
- Possess exceptional interpersonal skills, including relationship building, communication skills, and partnership development
- Fluency in English
Strongly Desired Characteristics:
- Previous experience working directly on governance-related indices or assessment mechanisms;
- Excellent writing ability;
- Proven ability to think strategically, innovate, learn fast and interact with a multitude of stakeholders, and deliver outcomes;
- Strong familiarity with international and local civil society networks working on governance issues across a range of sectors;
- Proficiency in multiple languages.
Details and How to Apply
- Position is based in Washington, DC (OGP’s fiscal sponsor may be able to facilitate a work visa as needed.)
- Preferred start date is August 2012
- Compensation commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits package.
- A cover letter, references, writing sample and resume/CV must be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line please put: Program Manager IRM