Post title: TEMP Programme Manager - Vaccines (maternity cover)
Duration: Early-mid August 2012 to 31 August 2013
Purpose of the post:
Coordinate the roll out of pneumococcal and /or potentially other vaccines in GAVI portfolio.
Reports to: Director of Accelerated Vaccine Introduction
Date issued: 21 June 2012
Closing date: 05 July 2012
Apply for this post using this email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Key results expected:
- Effective coordination within AVI to facilitate the introduction of assigened new vaccines each year, and in line with the business plan;
- Coordination of AMC related activities includiing contractual obligations.
Main duties/ Responsibilities:
- Support the accelerated vaccine roll out in its assigned product area, including:
- Developing a work plan and conducting cross team meetings with relevant experts and stakeholders from the secretariat (programme deliverly, finance, policy and performance), as well as WHO, UNICEF Programme Division, UNICEF Supply Division, donors and others;
- Coordinating the activities necessary for successful and timely introductions in countries according to the approved proposals;
- Monitoring decision letters, introduction dates, product choice, country readiness status (pre-launch), real time vaccine utilization in country (post-launch activities including surveillance/coverage estimates), vaccine presentation specific supply status, etc.
- Input to and update procedures and reporting tools (e.g. country readiness dashboard) to ‘systemize’ vaccine roll out to establish a platform for well coordinasted vaccine introductions.
- With support from the AVI Director, serve as the focal point, product champion and disease area lead in the assigned product area to internal (eg external relations) and external stakeholders (eg donors) to provide:
- Regular reporting on actual vaccine roll out status against plan for key governance meetings and on request by specific stakeholders when required;
- Vaccine specific information including: product presentations, efficacy, safety, current suppliers, price points (in collaboration with market shaping), and evolution of demand;
- Disease area high level information such as burden of disease, vaccine cost effectiveness data other treatment options, latest publications;
- Liaise with media & communication; providing vaccine specific information and around specific media events, and in supporting standard and ‘back-pocket’ Q&A; as well as provide and coordinate input during crisis communications (i.e. recall/WHO prequalification de-listings, safety alerts).
- Manage new knowledge and follow key issues with regards the vaccine products and disease area;
- Support the AVI Director in the grant management of AVI Technical Consortium (TAC);
This position will manage pneumoccoal conjugate vaccines, and or other vaccines in GAVI portfolio, implementation of the AMC, and other duties as assigned.
- Coordinate the AVI sub group;
- Be the focal point for pneumo specific issues including tracking scientific and implementation issues (eg 2 dose without preservative, catch up under 1 year of age etc.);
- Develop internal communications and procedures as appropriate.
For Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccines
Advanced Market Commitment (AMC):
- Coordinate the implementation of the Pneumococcal AM;
- Conduct record keeping, annual monitoring, announcements, and development of the Pneumo AMC Annual Report;
- Coordinate the Independent Assessment Committee (IAC) members and meetings and associated documentation;
- Support the management of AMC Stakeholders;
- Support the M&E team in the preparation of AMC evaluations.
Note: The essential functions listed in this section are not limited only to the tasks listed and may include other duties as assigned.
Academic: University Degree / Diploma in public health, public policy, or related field.
Minimum 5 years of work experience in design and management of programmes with particular focus in public health and in Development and/ or Global Health.
- Strong analytical and writing skills;
- Knowledge of public health in general and vaccines and infectious disease/bacteriological disease in specific. Experience with pneumococcal disease an assest.
- Ability to develop concepts, plan and execute projects and corporate materials;
- Strong coordination, representational and communications skills and develop trust at GAVI partners level;
- Proven ability to effectively manage relationships with external consultants and suppliers;
- Ability to manage different projects simultaneously;
- Good knowledge of institutional or organization policies, systems and procedures;
- Computer skills, including internet navigation and various office applications (Microsoft Project and Excel);
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and establish harmonious working relationships, both within and outside the organization;
- Tact and discretion.
- Written and spoken Fluency in English;
- Another European language would be an asset.
Please send your cover letter and resume/CV directly to: email@example.com by the closing date and mention, “TEMP Senior Programme Manager - Vaccines (maternity cover)” in the subject line of the email.
GAVI is committed to diversity within its workforce and encourages applications from all qualified candidates.