The IRCT is a health-based umbrella organisation that supports the rehabilitation of torture victims and the prevention of torture worldwide.
Our members currently comprise 143 independent organisations in 73 countries. Our work is governed by these member organisations. Today, we are the largest membership-based civil society organisation to work in the field of torture rehabilitation and prevention.
Regional Coordinator for Middle East And North Africa (MENA)
Capacity building and knowledge sharing in the region
The International Rehabilitation Council for Torture Victims (IRCT) is currently recruiting a Regional Coordinator for the MENA region to support and build the development of the IRCT members in the region.
The MENA Regional Coordinator will be part of the Membership Team of the IRCT Secretariat in Copenhagen. The Membership Team supports the development of the IRCT members which combines the specialist areas of health, law, communication and fundraising.
As Regional Coordinator your key role will be to assist and communicate with the membership and partner network in MENA, to develop and implement the strategy for the work in the region. Also your job would be to collect and pass on the knowledge and experience in the region within the field of torture rehabilitation so that it furthers and supports the international work against torture in the areas of advocacy, communications and fundraising.
· Support development of a regional membership strategy
· Assess and support centres with capacity building and fundraising
· A special focus of the MENA Regional Coordinator will be the current project in Libya
· Assess needs and support the establishment of new centres/programmes in the region
· Identify and liaise with potential donors and relevant partners for political, institutional and professional collaboration
· Project management and development
· Liaise with and report to relevant authorities and donors
Knowledge and experience
- At least 5 years work experience with international development, humanitarian response and/or human rights issues in the MENA region
- Knowledge of the MENA region and key challenges in addressing the issue of preventing torture and rehabilitating torture survivors
- Experience of capacity building and training
- Experience in managing projects and budgets of significant amounts
- Experienced cross cultural team worker
- Knowledge of project planning and of LFA and other project planning and monitoring tools
Personal skills and communication
· Ability to utilise experiences from the MENA
· Open and winning personal style and excellent interpersonal skills
· Strong planning and prioritizing skills and ability to multi-task
· Fluency in both written and spoken English and Arabic
· Ability to think strategically and consider all relevant operational issues
· Interest in the organisation’s area of work
Relevant University degree.
The Regional Coordinator for Middle East and North Africa will be offered a competitive salary with allowances.
The Regional Coordinator for Middle East and North Africa will be offered a 2-year fixed term contract subject to renewal and will be expected to take residence in Denmark but with extensive travel to the region.
How to apply
Send a covering letter of application and CV (form can be found on IRCT we4bsite) by e-mail to email@example.com.
Please name the documents “MENA Coordinator your name cover letter” and “MENA Coordinator your name CV”. In your covering letter please outline how your experience relates to each aspect of the Key Responsibilities, Knowledge and Experience and Personal skills and Communication. Your covering letter should be no longer than 2 pages.
Deadline for applications: Monday 30th July 2012 8AM (Copenhagen time). Job interviews are expected to take place during August 2012.
Further information: Please consult our website www.irct.org where you will find a detailed job description and CV format or call Leanne MacMillan, Head of Membership Team, at +45 36 93 87 04.