ABOUT WATERAID AMERICA
WaterAid is a leading international nonprofit organization working with local partners to deliver safe water, sanitation, and hygiene education to impoverished and vulnerable people living in many of the world’s poorest countries. Since WaterAid’s founding in 1981, we have reached nearly 16 million people and have earned a worldwide reputation for long-term effectiveness, innovation, and leadership, winning numerous national and international awards.
WaterAid America (WAA) is an independent member of WaterAid international (WAi), which also includes member offices in the UK, Australia & Sweden. Established in 2004, WaterAid America (WAA) mobilizes financial and other resources in the US to support work undertaken by WaterAid’s 27 country programs across Africa, Asia and the South Pacific. WAA also undertakes research, outreach, and public education activities to raise awareness about the global water and sanitation crisis and its solutions. WAA maintains a Policy & Advocacy office in Washington, DC and oversees WaterAid’s first country program in Central America, in Nicaragua.
The newly created position of Director of Finance and Administration will define and implement the infrastructure and systems needed to support the financial health and growth of the organization, from an annual budget of $4 million in 2011/12 fiscal year to $7.5 million in the current fiscal year and reaching $15 million by 2015. The Director of Finance and Administration will build and manage effective and streamlined administrative systems including financial, accounting, grants management, information technology, human resources, compliance, and facilities. As a member of the senior management team (SMT), the Director of Finance and Administration will report to the CEO. S/he will work closely with the CEO and Director of Development and Communications in the organization’s annual strategic planning process and the preparation of supporting agreements. S/he will be responsible for Human Resources and Benefits administration as well as general administrative matters. The post holder will also serve as Secretary of the Board of Directors and attend Board meetings. Occasional travel to London and field locations in Nicaragua will be required as necessary. Travel may also be required at a later stage to other country programs.
Management & Strategy
• Assess organizational performance in relation to both the annual budget and WaterAid’s long term strategy. Develop tools and systems to provide critical financial and operational information to the SMT and make actionable recommendations on both strategy and operations with regard to financial compliance and control.
• Develop and maintain the annual budget process; coordinate with department heads and the SMT throughout the year.
• Work with WaterAid’s Board of Directors, including supporting the Audit Committee and preparing meeting minutes as Board Secretary.
• Perform all monthly financial reporting, monitoring, analysis and forecasting activities including discussing financial performance with the SMT and board.
• Liaise with the finance department in WAUK regarding the WAUK contribution to WAA’s overhead costs and also as required in order to ensure that WAA is in compliance with WAi accreditation and any other inter-member requirements
• Perform all grants management activities, particularly regarding USAID compliance and reporting requirements. Work closely and maintain positive relationships with donor agencies and staff in the US, UK and local country offices as needed to prepare and review grants budgets and reports.
• Prepare annual financials; coordinate all audit activities and tax return preparations and filings. This will include annual presentation of full year results and audit report to the board of directors
• Perform and manage all accounting transactions, including Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, and Payroll.
• Manage WaterAid’s investment portfolio and policies.
• Design, maintain, and communicate effective internal control systems. Oversee the reconciliation of the donor database (Raiser’s Edge) and the general ledger.
• Oversee IT providers and consultants to ensure communication systems are maintained and protected.
• Strategically administer and structure benefit plans and advise on employee relations matters; manage new and terminated employee documentation.
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related degree as a minimum, CPA or MBA additional qualification preferred.
• Minimum of 5 years of professional hands-on experience in finance or operations
• Minimum of 5 years nonprofit experience preferred, with international experience a plus
• Hands-on, demonstrated experience in financial management and accounting, including experience in audit, compliance, contracts, budget and resource development
• Strong knowledge and application of GAAP and A133 requirements (USAID regulations and reporting experience strongly preferred)
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills with proven ability to work in small teams as well as lead, develop and mentor staff
• Experience with accounting and fundraising software (QuickBooks and Raiser’s Edge experience a plus)
• Accounting software systems implementation a plus.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively manage multiple projects and tasks and prioritize competing responsibilities
• Flexible self-starter willing to work hands on; high attention to detail and strongly results-oriented
HOW TO APPLY
Submit resume, cover letter, how you learned of this position and salary requirements to email@example.com, Please include Director of Finance and Administration – WaterAid in the subject box.
Email and phone communication to WaterAid in regards to this position will not be returned.