The College of Accounting is one of the largest departments in the Faculty of Commerce with four teaching disciplines namely Financial Reporting, Taxation, Auditing and Management Accounting / Finance. The College’s highly regarded Chartered Accountant (CA) programmes are accredited by the South African Institute of Chartered Accountants (SAICA).
Applications are invited from suitably professionally qualified persons, who wish to teach on courses within the CA programme, for appointment to a full-time post as Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in the College of Accounting. In addition to these posts the College wishes to appoint a convenor for the Post Graduate Diploma in Management (Accounting Conversion Course) at the Senior Lecturer level. The College wishes to make the appointment(s) with an effective starting date of 1 January 2013.
Requirements for the respective positions:
1. Lecturer: Professional qualification as a Chartered Accountant (South Africa).
2. Senior Lecturer: Professional qualification as a Chartered Accountant (South Africa) and a relevant Masters degree.
3. Convenor for the Post Graduate Diploma (Senior Lecturer level):
· Relevant academic and operational experience in programme administration
· Solid track record in the teaching of accounting
· Relevant Masters degree
· A professional teaching qualification would be to the candidate’s advantage.
The successful candidates will be expected to:
· Demonstrate a broad and thorough understanding of the subject area of accounting with specialization in one of the four disciplines mentioned above
· Apply their knowledge in their area of specialization in innovative ways to post- and undergraduate teaching
· Work within a dynamic team and contribute towards scholarship and related initiatives within the College
The following will be to the candidate’s advantage:
· Prior teaching experience.
· Evidence of competence in scholarship.
· Practical business experience
· Good presentation skills.
· Specialised competence within at least one of the disciplines.
· Teaching on a SAICA accredited programme in one of the four teaching disciplines.
· Performing scholarship.
· Convening at least one undergraduate or postgraduate course or programme.
· Related administrative tasks.
· Participation in College initiatives.
The annual remuneration packages, including benefits, at the respective levels are as follows:
· Lecturer : R427 311
· Senior Lecturer : R526 873
· Postgraduate Convenor (Senior Lecturer level) : R526 873
Should you wish to find out more about these positions you are welcome to contact the Head of the College of Accounting, Professor Mark Graham, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply, please email the completed UCT Application form clearly indicating at which level you are applying, a letter of motivation and all other relevant documentation as indicated on the form, to Mrs C Snyders at email@example.com, Staff Recruitment and Selection, University of Cape Town, Rondebosch, 7700.
Telephone: +27 21 650 2192; College of Accounting website: www.commerce.uct.ac.za/accounting
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete.
Reference number for this post: SR329/12
Closing date for applications: 3 August 2012
UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at http://hr.uct.ac.za/policies/ee.php.