Department of Mechanical Engineering
Faculty of Engineering & The Built Environment
The University of Cape Town is in the top rank of Universities in South Africa, and the Department of Mechanical Engineering endeavours to contribute to this reputation. This is achieved both through world class research in niche areas (e.g. advanced fuels research, computational mechanics, energy studies, impact and materials engineering, among others), and by excellent teaching based on sound pedagogical principles. The Department enjoys local and international accreditation, and continues to produce some of the country’s most competent mechanical engineers.
The Centre for Materials Engineering within the Department of Mechanical Engineering, has recently established a research specialisation that focuses primarily on the high temperature behaviour of engineering materials which are utilised in power generation plant. The research specialisation is supported by Eskom and aims to promote knowledge development in materials science relevant to aspects of power generation, and to provide a research platform to promote the education of postgraduate students in focus areas that will produce highly skilled power plant engineers. The Department is seeking to appoint a dynamic and suitably qualified person who is competent to lead the materials science specialisation and undertake research in the high temperature behaviour of power plant materials.
The appointment will be made on a five-year contract basis, with a strong likelihood of being extended.
• A PhD in engineering with relevant research and industrial experience in the high temperature behaviour of materials, with particular emphasis on steels.
• Relevant leadership/managerial experience.
Demonstrated qualities that could inform the level of appointment include:
• A research track record
• A teaching track record
• Relevant industrial experience
• Supervision of undergraduate projects and postgraduate dissertations
• Mentoring in an industrial environment
The successful candidate will be expected to:
• Lead the establishment and management of a centre of specialisation in high temperature behaviour of engineering materials
• Contribute significantly to excellence in teaching and research
• Supervise student research and publish in appropriate journals
• Apply for a National Research Foundation (NRF) rating and for professional registration
• Promote research collaboration with relevant national and international institutions
The annual remuneration packages, including benefits at the respective levels, are as follows:
• Professor: R771 584
• Associate Professor: R614 221
Further information on the Faculty’s guidelines for academic rank is available on request.
To apply please e-mail the completed UCT Application form and all other relevant documentation as indicated on the form, with the subject line “P/AP: Materials Engineering” followed by the reference number to: Ms E Graham, Staff Recruitment and Selection, University of Cape Town, Private Bag X3, Rondebosch, 7700, South Africa.
E-mail: email@example.com; Telephone: +27 21 650 5405; Faculty website: www.ebe.uct.ac.za
The application form can also be downloaded at http://web.uct.ac.za/depts/sapweb/forms/hr201.doc.
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete.
Reference number for this position: SR321/12
Closing date for applications: 16 July 2012
UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at http://hr.uct.ac.za/policies/ee.php.
UN WOMEN: COORDINATION AND PLANNING SPECIALIST (READVERTISEMENT) - The UN Women (UNW), grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination agains...
7 hours ago