Reference number: IRS-2012-08-GB
Apply by: 15 May 2012
To develop elite breeding lines/varieties with high iron and zinc contents in the polished rice grains; and facilitate the process of their release in collaboration with national partners.
• Breed high-yielding elite rice with enhanced grain Fe and Zn
• Evaluate segregating breeding materials, develop mapping populations and identify the major loci for grain Fe and Zn in rice.
• Collaborate with other staff and academic partners to study the mechanism of action of the underlying genes
• Collaborate with and assist partners in target countries in development of their relevant Fe and Zn materials, from own breeding programs and from IRRI’s activities
• Improve the skills and facilities in partner countries in the use of marker-aided backcrossing and in event and line selection
• Coordinate screening and analytical activities across the countries to ensure robust and reliable analyses of Fe and Zn.
• Assist in the production of the data required for varietal release approval.
1. PhD in plant breeding, genetics and related disciplines, with experience in use of molecular tools.
2. Experience (3-5 years) in rice breeding, genetics and molecular marker applications; demonstrated competence in working in a multi-cultural environment; demonstrated experience in leading a large research group.
3. English: Written and Spoken
4. Rice breeder with experience in genetics and molecular techniques; bioinformatics skills for marker design; experience in working with people from diverse cultures; experience in successful mentoring of junior staff
Screening will start on 15 May 2012 and will continue until a suitable candidate has been found.
Please indicate the position reference number in the e-mail subject line. IRRI regrets that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
IRRI provides a multicultural work environment that reflects the values of gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity, with a competitive compensation and benefit package. Women are encouraged to apply.
Join us to deliver rice science for a better world
Interested candidates should apply online (click apply now). Should you encounter problems applying online please email at email@example.com.