Position: Senior Consultant
Location: London (or Lagos or Accra and with the opportunity to relocate)
Line manager: Head of Strategic Advisory Services
Salary: Commensurate with profile and experience
africapractice is an Africa-focused consulting firm that provides strategic advisory, public affairs and communications services to government, public and private sector clients. With offices in London, Johannesburg, Haraare, Dar es Salaam, Nairobi, Libreville, Lagos and Accra africapractice is uniquely positioned to assist our clients identify, evaluate and manage opportunities in Africa. We have a vision – ‘a thriving African private sector driving socio-economic development’, and we share a mission ‘to play a leading role in supporting responsible business and informed investment in Africa.’ This is what unites us and drives our passion.
Africapractice (“AP”) is seeking an experienced political analyst for the role of Senior Consultant in our Strategic Advisory Services practice to be based out of our London office (flexible).
Strategic Advisory Services (SAS) is a strategic consulting practice that advises clients on political, regulatory and operational dynamics across Africa. We help our clients to understand the political and commercial landscape in which they are operating, to identify and assess risks and to develop and manage commercial strategies that deliver sustainable, profitable, high impact investments.
The Senior Consultant will lead our Research and Analysis and Consulting Services on West Africa. The role includes frequent travel to the region; writing regular analysis on political and commercial developments in west Africa; managing complicated consulting projects; delivering political and commercial briefings to clients; achieving SAS business growth targets; providing expert comment to media and participating in conferences and other events.
Tasks and responsibilities
Research and Analysis
• Lead – with the support of the Head of Strategic Analysis – AP’s bespoke research and analysis products on political, regulatory and commercial developments in West Africa.
• Produce regular, high quality research notes on a range of topics relevant to the region.
• Maintain a high level of regional expertise through reading, attendance at relevant seminars and regular research visits.
• Develop and maintain a network of expert contacts and subcontractors in the region.
• Service complex political and commercial intelligence projects for individual clients.
• Lead high-level client briefings on political, regulatory and commercial developments in the region.
• Develop creative consulting solutions for clients facing specific challenges or opportunities in the region.
• Ensure that consulting projects are conducted and delivered within the required timeframe while simultaneously satisfying AP’s quality standards.
• Manage key client accounts in the region and build strong and profitable client relationships.
Marketing and Business development
• Lead business development for SAS in the West Africa region and develop a focused strategy related to market conditions.
• Develop a pipeline of business opportunities and maintain 3 times cover of target.
• Achieve agreed annual revenue targets.
• Liaise regularly with AP offices in the region.
• Support marketing and PR initiatives to generate new business leads.
• Represent AP at West Africa-focussed conferences and seminars.
• Develop strong relationships with regional journalists and publications.
• Provide expert comment to media and undertake broadcast work as requested.
• Support the Head of SAS in training junior team members.
• Drive innovation and the sharing of best practices through systems, templates, processes to continuously add value to our work in a structured way.
• Contribute to the employees’ engagement and motivation throughout the region.
Knowledge and Experience
• Detailed knowledge of political, operational and commercial dynamics in West Africa.
• Academic or professional training in political analysis.
• At least 5 years’ experience in working on and analysing West African politics
• Good contacts with foreign- or locally based political experts, government officials and private sector players.
• Practical experience of living, working or travelling in West Africa.
• Participation in international business transactions in a legal, finance or other advisory capacity.
• Specific expertise in the politics of Guinea and Ghana or Cote d’Ivoire.
• Specific expertise in the politics of the extractive sector in West Africa.
• Previous professional experience of political risk analysis.
Qualifications and Specialist Skills
• Bachelors or Postgraduate degree (or equivalent) in relevant discipline.
• Ability to work in English and French.
• Ability to write clearly, concisely and authoritatively to tight deadlines
• Strong client facing skills with a demonstrated aptitude for business development
• Aptitude for problem solving, attention to detail and collaborating with internal subject matter experts to address clients’ problems
• Postgraduate degree or PhD in relevant discipline.
• Proficiency in Portuguese.
• Demonstrates thought leadership and analytical innovation
• Shows an eagerness to seize opportunities
• Adapts well to changing demands and ambiguous situations
• Looks for opportunities to improve own performance
• Actively seeks input from appropriate stakeholders
• Excellent investigative and analytical skills
• High attention to detail
• Excellent verbal and written communication
• Head of SAS
• There are no prescriptive travel requirements, though we would expect regular travel to the region.
Do you want to join a dynamic and fast growing company? Send short cover letter and CV to email@example.com with the reference: “SC SAS UK”.
Closing date for applications: Tuesday 31st July