Ref 12-46 HC/IRS/HQ
Head - Communications
The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking an accomplished, results oriented corporate and strategic communications leader as Head of Communications.
The Center: CIP is a not-for-profit international agricultural research-for-development organization with a focus on potato, sweetpotato, and Andean roots and tubers. Its vision is of roots and tubers improving the lives of the poor. CIP is dedicated to achieving food security, improved well-being, and gender equity for poor people in root and tuber farming and food systems of the developing world. CIP works with partners to contribute high quality science, technology, and capacity strengthening for sustainable science-based solutions. CIP is headquartered in Lima, Peru, with staff and activities in over 30 locations across Asia, Africa, and Latin America. CIP is a member of the Consortium of the Consultative Group for International Agricultural Research (CGIAR), a strategic partnership of 15 research centers dedicated to advancing science to reduce poverty and hunger, improve human health and nutrition, and enhance ecosystem resilience.
The position: The Head of Communications will report to the Chief Operating Officer and will be based in Lima, Peru. The successful candidate will advise the Director General and top leadership on all strategic external and internal communication issues.
The key role of the Head of Communications is to increase visibility and understanding of CIP vision and purpose, particularly with funders internationally. The post requires a dynamic professional with leadership skills to leverage the potential of communications to support the scientific work of the organization.
Duties and Accountabilities:
- Leads the coordination of communication vertically (institutional) and horizontally (geographical)
- Is part of a Senior Team whose ultimate goal is to increase visibility and understanding of CIP mission and vision through corporate branding
- Enables knowledge sharing – upstream and downstream
- Actively engages with broader CGIAR communication teams and activities
- Champions internal communications through the implementation of dissemination and feedback tools
- Leads communication strategies to support organizational research – both for the CPAD organization and through participation in key project teams
- Gathers and expands CIP reach and uptake through effective use of social media, oral, graphic and audiovisual tools, as well as WEB branding
- Taps into Communication assets of colleagues and business partners
- Positions CIP with potential donors, with a view to the creation of strategic alliances
- Targets and strengthens relations with key external stakeholders
- Drives partnering and collaboration:
- Internally through CRP’s, Consortium, Mega Programs
- Externally through local and global communication experts
- MA in relevant discipline
- Successful track record in communications and marketing strategy and implementation, working across the marketing communication mix, at senior level
- Full set of skills including marketing communications, social media, media relations, and branding
- Considerable experience in successful strategic communications and marketing across private and non-profit sectors and ideally within a research, conservation, or development context
- Demonstrated success liaising among partners or projects to enhance communication and public awareness
- Demonstrated experience translating scientific information into formats and messages for diverse audiences
- Track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently
- Demonstrated people management and team building skills
- Entrepreneurial and innovative
- Experienced, persuasive, and passionate communicator
- Proactive approach, with ability to find creative ways to solve problems or exploit potentials
- Superb written communication skills in English, with fluency in Spanish and other languages as an asset
- Good understanding of international agriculture, environmental, and food issues, and global context in which they are represented
Conditions: The position will be based in Lima, Peru. Employment contract will be for a three-year term, with a three month probation period. The Salary will be internationally competitive, paid in US dollars, and commensurate with experience. CIP provides additional benefits including employer-paid medical, life and disability insurance and retirement benefits. Allowances toward relocation, housing, home leave travel, dependents’ education and annual leave are also provided. CIP prides itself on its collegial and supportive working environment, which allows space for personal and professional growth.
Applications: Applicants should apply by email, sending a letter of motivation, a full C.V., and the names and contact information of three referees knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to CIP-Recruitment@cgiar.org. The reference name of the position should be clearly marked on the subject line of the email message. The deadline for applications is July 17, 2012. All applications will be acknowledged, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Learn more about CIP by accessing our web site at http://www.cipotato.org.
CIP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women and professionals from developing countries are particularly encouraged to apply