Country: Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Description of the assignment: Chief Technical Advisor
Office Name: UNDP Saudi Arabia – Saudi Energy Efficiency Centre
Period of assignment/services: Full time for one year with possible extension to three
Availability Date: 1st October 2012
Proposal should be submitted to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Wednesday 1 August 2012.
Any request for clarification must be sent in writing, or by standard electronic communication to the address or e-mail indicated above. [Mustafa Khamees at email@example.com] will respond in writing or by standard electronic mail and will send written copies of the response, including an explanation of the query without identifying the source of inquiry, to all consultants.
This is the second phase of a capacity development programme for the King Abdul-Aziz City for Science and Technology (KACST) aimed at supporting the recently established Saudi Energy Efficiency Centre to achieve the Kingdom’s increasingly important goals for energy conservation. As Saudi Arabia continues to diversify its economy beyond oil exports, energy intensity of the economy has grown in key sectors like housing and buildings, consumer appliances, heavy industry, water and transport. With electricity in Saudi Arabia predominantly from oil-burning power facilities, and in order to conserve oil resources for the future generation, a key focus of the Government and industry leaders is to reduce the energy intensity growth through policy, management and technology measures.
This project focuses on four major outcomes with the overall goal of capacity development for the new Saudi Energy Efficiency Centre: (i) Energy Efficiency Policy and Regulations: design of the first Energy Conservation Law and related actions plans and regulations at national and local levels to achieve targets; (ii) Energy Information System: design and establishment of a new national energy information system as a base of data on energy supply and demand, forecasting and monitoring/evaluation of targets. (iii) Capacity Development for Energy Efficiency Managers and Leaders: design and implementation of extensive training programmes for energy manager and leaders from public and private sectors focused on challenges and opportunities in key sectors like buildings, consumer appliances, heavy industry, transport,
power supply and water; (iv) Awareness Raising on Energy Conservation: design and implementation of nation-wide campaign on energy conservation aimed at enhancing energy consumption patterns and behavior for the public.
2. SCOPE OF WORK, RESPONSIBILITIES AND DESCRIPTION OF THE PROPOSED ANALYTICAL WORK:
- Advise the NPC on technical, policy, and/or strategic issues that can affect the success of the
- Provide expert support to review and completion of the Energy Conservation Law and National Energy Strategy.
- Provide support to development of implementing regulations and policies with partners.
- Assess challenges and opportunities for efficiency gains in priority sectors like buildings, transport, heavy industry, power, water, etc.
- Identify global best practice centers of excellence on energy efficiency, and write-up of lessons learned for knowledge sharing.
- Oversee and guide the work of the other two lead consultants.
- Provide periodic short-term technical review, comment, and guidance on project activities, which must remain consistent with the project document.
- Perform advisory work in each of the programme’s specialized areas.
- Meet as a group at least quarterly. On occasion meet with the Project Steering Committee and present project results to the Project Board when requested.
- Prepare TORs for short-term consultants in coordination with other lead consultants.
- Reporting to NPC and UNDP Country Office:
The Project Chief Technical Advisor (CTA) will report to the National Project Coordinator (NPC) and maintain in close contact with UNDP Saudi Arabia Country Office.
3. REQUIREMENTS FOR EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
The Individual Consultant should possess the following minimum qualifications:
I. Academic Qualifications:
- MS or PhD degree.
II. Years of Experience:
- 10 years extensive and recognized experience as an advisor on subjects of public policy pertaining to technical fields.
- Specific expertise in most of the following areas: energy utilization and efficiency potential, electrical and thermal equipment manufacturing, building design and construction, industrial and consumer decisions on energy use and investment, project management.
III. Desirable Skills:
• English fluency
• Arabic an asset
• IT skills a must
4. DOCUMENTS TO BE INCLUDED WHEN SUBMITTING THE PROPOSALS:
Interested individual consultants must submit the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications:
i. Personal CV including past experience in similar projects and at least 3 references.
ii. Explaining why they are the most suitable for the work.
iii. Provide a brief methodology on how they will approach and conduct the work.
5. DURATION OF THE CONTRACT:
Work shall be on a full-time basis with the SEEC for period of (1) year with possible extension to three years. Work place shall be at SEEC offices in Riyadh or any other place as deemed assigned by SEEC.
Job Email id: mustafa.khamees(at)undp.org
Assistant/Associate/Full Professors in Engineering - *India’s Capital Region (Around Delhi)* Sharda University is a leading university promoted by SGI Group in India. It is a multidisciplinary and multicul...
4 hours ago