The Centre for Transport Studies in the University of Cape Town’s Department of Civil Engineering undertakes research and postgraduate teaching activities that advocate innovative practices for the management of complex transport systems in the dynamic cities of South Africa and other African nations. The Centre seeks to stimulate debate and undertake research that focuses on the equity, sustainability and efficiency problems associated with urban passenger transport systems.
We invite applications for the post of Professor or Associate Professor in Transport Planning and Engineering. This post is funded by the South African National Roads Agency Ltd (SANRAL).
The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Carry out world-class research in areas appropriate to the vision and purpose of the Centre, and disseminate research findings in appropriate ways, including publishing in high-impact journals
- Contribute to leadership in research and scholarship at national and international levels within the field of transportation engineering or transport planning
- Collaborate and network with researchers in African and other international research organisations, as well as industry
- Acquire and manage research funding
- Supervise postgraduate research students and guide post-doctoral researchers
- Contribute to teaching postgraduate and undergraduate courses
- Work collegially as part of a team
The requirements for application include:
- A doctoral degree in the fields of transport engineering, transport planning, or a related discipline
- A strong track record of research-based refereed publications
- Good international standing in a relevant field
- A track record of postgraduate teaching and supervision at Masters and Doctoral level would be an advantage
The annual remuneration, including benefits, for the position at the respective levels is as follows:
- Professor : R 771 584
- Associate Professor : R 614 221
To apply, please e-mail the completed UCT Application form and all other relevant documentation as indicated on the form, with the subject line “SANRAL and the level for which you are applying” followed by the reference number to Mrs Charlotte Snyders, Staff Recruitment Office, University of Cape Town, Private Bag X3, Rondebosch, 7700, South Africa.
The application form can be downloaded at http://web.uct.ac.za/depts/sapweb/forms/hr201.doc
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete.
Reference number for this position: SR330/12
Closing date for applications: 20 August 2012
UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at http://hr.uct.ac.za/policies/ee.php.