The University of Cape Town seeks to expand a team supporting Linux Operating Systems and Applications, and invites applicants to join Technical Support Services. We are looking for applicants who are versatalists, passionate and dedicated to technology and service provisioning. You need to be able to work independently, display initiative in a fast-paced and heterogeneous environment where your accomplishments will lead directly to the success of your team.
The successful candidate for the vacant position will be:-
· Responsible for the design, configuration, maintenance and support of Linux-based infrastructure and computing platforms used for mission-critical systems in support of campus administration, teaching, and research, including:
o Systems Administration
o Database Management
o Application Administration
o Security Administration
· Involved in researching, evaluating and implementing new technologies and systems.
Appointment to this position will require:-
· Proficiency, advanced skill and experience with various *Nix Operating Systems, including SLES, RHL, Ubuntu and MacOS
· Solid understanding and experience administering Opensource Databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL etc.)
· Experience administering systems in a VMware environment
· Proven experience with Web server technologies using Apache and Tomcat
· Scripting or programming with Perl, Java, Python etc.
The following would be to your advantage:-
· A degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Computer Technology, Information Security, Business, or related field, or any relevant industry certification
· ITIL certification and/or formal project management experience
· Experience providing support to ERP systems such as SAP and PeopleSoft
· Five years’ experience in system administration on a Linux/Unix computing system in HPC/computational cluster environments.
· Experience within an academic computing environment.
The annual remuneration package, including benefits, is dependent on experience and qualifications.
To apply, familiarize yourself with our website at www.icts.uct.ac.za, then e-mail the completed UCT Application form and all other relevant documentation as indicated on the form, with the subject line “Systems Engineer: Linux” followed by the reference number to: Ms Penny Thompson, Information & Communication Technology Services, University of Cape Town, Rondebosch, 7700.
The application form can be downloaded at http://web.uct.ac.za/depts/sapweb/forms/hr201.doc
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Reference number for this post: 2392
Closing date for applications: 20 July 2012
UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at http://hr.uct.ac.za/policies/ee.php