- Position title: Principal Agricultural Economist - Bank Représentative in Cote d’Ivoire
- Grade: PL-4
- Position N°: NA
- Reference: ADB/12/113
- Publication date: 30/04/2012
- Closing date: 11/05/2012
N.B: Only staff already possessing the advertised grade and employed within OSVP complex from which a position will be detached to the FO are eligible to apply.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the technical supervision of the Division Manager, OSAN.2 and administrative supervision of the Resident Representative, ROSA, and working in collaboration with Task Managers in OSAN.2 and ROSA, the incumbent will contribute technical inputs to Bank Group’s operational activities relating to agriculture and rural development in Cote d’Ivoire, through the review of the technical design and institutional arrangements for agricultural projects/programmes in general and water resources management projects in particular, proposed for Bank’s funding and assessing their feasibility from the perspective of present and future benefits impact by the following:
- Undertake personally and leading, as required, field missions to identify, prepare, appraise and/or supervise project implementation and follow-up on Bank-financed sector studies, monitor projects’ procurement and disbursement and reporting systems to ensure that these are consistent with Bank’s rules of procedures;
- Participate in strategy and sector policy development, including support to the CAADP Process;
- Participate in, and lead, as required, agriculture sector reviews and dialogue missions, agriculture and rural development projects formulation, mid-term reviews and project completion missions and processing;
- Participate in appraisal and processing of agriculture and rural development projects and Terms of Reference (TOR) of studies proposed for Bank Group financing;
- Contribute technical inputs in the preparation of country strategy papers and portfolio reviews, with particular reference to the agriculture and rural development sector;
- Perform the regular tasks of a “task manager” of the projects under his/her supervision; (i) review procurement documents from regional member countries in line with the Bank’s Group’s procurement procedures and make proposals for action by the Bank and executing agencies; (ii) review project feasibility studies and progress reports and make proposals for action by the Bank and executing agencies; (iii) provide technical advice to the Bank’s Disbursement Division on the eligibility of project expenses; (iv) prepare terms of reference and select consultants for missions and supervise technical aspects of their work;
- Represent the Bank in coordination meetings with other institutions in Nigeria; and
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned by the Division Manager or by Senior Management.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- At least, a MSc. degree in Agriculture with a major in Agricultural Economics;
- Preferably a minimum of six (6) years (four of which must have been in the Bank) of relevant and broad professional experience in project formulation, preparation, appraisal and management, with broad interest in agriculture water management issues;
- Ability to apply innovative approaches; ability to work in team, analyze and summarize; good interpersonal, communication and project management skills; demonstrated attention to details, good result and client service orientation;
- Good leadership abilities; committed to development in the continent; ability to modify work methods while remaining efficient in changing work conditions;
- Good mastery of standard computer applications (Microsoft office package) with knowledge of COSTAB and SAP as a plus; Strong ability to undertake financial, economic and cost-effective analysis of projects and programmes
- Ability to communicate and write effectively in French with good working knowledge of English.
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
- Submitted by: Harold AKINGBADE-TAYLOR, Division Manager, CHRM.1
- Approved by: Gemina O.ARCHER DAVIES, Director, CHRM
Only applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are being considered for interview will be contacted. Applicants will only be considered if they submit an online application, and attach a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV). The AfDB President reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply: www.afdb.org/jobs