- Position title: Quality Assurance Specialist - Qualityassurance Division
- Grade: PL-6
- Position N°: NA
- Reference: ADB/12/147
- Publication date: 21/05/2012
- Closing date: 19/06/2012
The African development Bank is a leading development institution in the continent, focused on promoting economic development and poverty reduction. It engages with the full range and complexity of development challenges in Africa. The Bank has integrated operations, lending directly the public and private sectors through a variety of instruments. It also provides advisory services. The Bank core operational priorities include infrastructure, private sector development, governance, regional integration, and engagement in fragile states. It has an increasing country presence through a growing network of 26 field offices. The Vice presidency of the Chief Operating Officer (COO) forms part of reforms introduced in the 2008-2012 MTS designed to improve coherence and coordination across complexes, ensure strategic priorities are reflected in resources allocation, enhance monitoring and management of performance, and strengthen the focus on results. Within the COO, the Quality Assurance and Results Department (ORQR) provides advice and support in the design, preparation and, implementation of operational policy matters, and spearheads the implementation of the Bank’ Action Plan on Quality and Results, including supporting the Bank’s international commitments on aid effectiveness in conjunction with other parts of the Bank. The department comprises four divisions: Results Reporting; Quality Assurance; Compliance and Safeguards; and Gender and Social Development Monitoring. Within ORQR, the incumbent will be assigned to the Quality Assurance Division, where he/she will contribute to spearheading the quality assurance agenda of the Bank, covering quality-at-entry and quality of implementation and monitoring of both operations and country strategies. The incumbent, under the direction of the Manager, ORQR.2, will carry out the specific tasks described below.
Duties and responsibilities
- Assist the division in coordinating quality-at-entry (QaE) assessment of operations (projects and programmes), and country strategy papers (CSPs) through the readiness review (RR) exercise;
- Support colleagues of regional departments in applying the QaE assessment methodology;
- Contribute to the annual assessment of the QaE of Bank operations and CSPs, especially by leading the data collection and analysis process;
- Contribute to analytic work and knowledge products undertaken by the division;
- Contribute to the development of training materials on quality assurance tools used by the bank; prepare presentations and modules on quality at entry and quality of implementation with other division staff
- Organize training, learning and knowledge dissemination events aimed at Bank staff both at headquarters and in field office;
- Develop a training and knowledge dissemination strategy for the division, assessing the feasibility of different delivery methods, including web-based;
- Serve as of member the project clinics and help desk initiatives established to provide hands-on operational support and technical backstopping to project teams;
- Maintain effective working relationships with staff of Regional and Sector Departments, including Field Offices, to ensure Bank-wide ownership/internalization and effective application of quality assurance tools;
- Undertake any other task as the Manager ORQR.2 may assign to the incumbent.
- ORQR Managers and Chief Specialists: development and dissemination of quality assurance tools.
- ORVP Management, Task Managers, Country Teams: RRs of CSPs/RISPs.
- ORVP Field Offices: staff development activities.
- COO complex: reporting on quality assurance tools.
- Bilateral development agencies and Multilateral Development Banks, on harmonization initiatives, information sharing and dissemination on operational tools.
- Regional Member Countries, executing and implementing agencies on Bank operational policies and business processes.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- At least a Master’s Degree in Economics, Business Administration, Public Administration, or related field.
- Minimum of four (4) years of relevant work experience, preferably gained in a Multilateral Development Bank and/or in the field in ADB Regional Member Countries, and in one or more of the following areas: project preparation, project management, logical framework and use of indicators, country strategy formulation, portfolio performance management.
- Experience in developing training materials, disseminating research and knowledge products.
- Exposure to operational policies and procedures of aid agencies.
- Knowledge of results-based approaches.
- Strong analytical/evaluative skills, with attention to details.
- Ability to write effectively in French and/or English with a working knowledge of the other.
- Competent in the use of standard software (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, MS Projects); knowledge of SAP desirable
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
- Submitted by: Mohamed Mahdi YOUSSOUF, Division Manager, CHRM.1
- Approved by: Gemina ARCHER-DAVIES, Director, CHRM
Only applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are being considered for interview will be contacted. Applicants will only be considered if they submit an online application, and attach a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV). The AfDB President reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply: www.afdb.org/jobs