- Grade: Local Professional (LP) 6
- Position N°: NA
- Reference: ADB/12/ 094
- Publication date: 18/04/2012
- Closing date: 20/05/2012
The African Development Bank Field Office in Liberia (LRFO) has been established to strengthen dialogue between the Bank and the government, development partners, the private sector, and the civil society, in the design of its development policy and programs, as well as on implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the poverty reduction strategy. LRFO also seeks to assist the operational functions of the Bank Group in launching and follow up of projects and programs in Liberia with a view to enhancing portfolio quality, identification, promotion of participatory approach, and regional integration.
The Bank invites applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the vacant position of Administrative and Finance Officer. This is a national position and posting will be in Monrovia, Liberia.
Only Applicants Who Already Have the Right Tto Live And Work in Liberia Will be Considered for this Position. The Bank Does not Support Applications for Work Permits and Relocation.
Under the administrative supervision of the Resident Representative in consultation with the administrative units at Headquarters, the Administrative and Finance Officer will be responsible for the management of administrative and financial works of the office that include but not be limited to accounting and budgeting, human resources, information technology and other administrative activities.
The incumbent will act as administrative and financial manager and carry out all financial, logistics and administrative activities in the Field Office (FO). He/She will provide line supervision to Administrative Assistants where they exist.
Duties and responsibilities
In close collaboration with his/her counterparts at Headquarters, the Administrative and Finance Officer will carry out his/her duties in strict compliance with the Bank's policies and guidelines. He/she will ensure the effective management of Bank resources, the Office's operational activities in keeping with procedures and the efficient use of resources. Other specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Budget preparation and implementation: Draw up administrative budget of the Field Office following the schedule set by the Budget Department; Contribute to the preparation of centralized budgets at headquarters to take into account the particular investment needs of the Field Office; Monitor expenditure in accordance with the Bank’s internal control rules and procedures; Report periodically on the status of the budget implementation and propose possible revisions.
- Financial management and reporting: Establish procedures and controls to improve efficiency of service and identify cost savings and promote efficient use of Bank resources; Provide guidance on accounting treatment and financial transactions with respect to LRFO; Advise management on methods to improve control environment in the Field Office; Check and approve the accounting entries in SAP; Review monthly financial report, timely preparation and verification of reports, statements and schedules for auditing of the Field Office activities.
- Human Resources Management: Submit reports on personnel management; Manage office staff benefits in accordance with the Human Resources policy and instructions in force; Assist the Resident Representative with consultant recruitment and staffing issues.
- General Administration & Procurement: Oversee institutional procurement of goods and services and management of property and equipment; Supervise procurement of goods and services in keeping with the Bank’s rules and procedures; Prepare and monitor service providers’ contracts; Ascertain sound stock keeping for office supplies and inventory of Bank property and equipment; Control the processing of mission expenditure advances and balances; Ensure the quality of Bank facilities in LRFO, including workspaces according to Bank standards, property and equipment as well as service provision relating to the upkeep, maintenance and security of facilities; Inform and discuss with counterparts at Headquarters the administrative problems affecting LRFO in order to find appropriate solutions thereto; Facilitate the obtainment of administrative documents necessary for the proper functioning of the office and staff from the relevant authorities; Organize, supervise and monitor the activities of administrative staff and ensure appropriate training for the latter in order to obtain quality services.
- Undertake any other official duties that may be assigned by the Resident Representative. The Administrative and Finance Officer will ensure monthly monitoring of finance and administrative activities of the Country Office; Prepare a quarterly report for the respective managers highlighting issues that require their attention; Ensure that proper administrative and logistic controls are implemented; Ensure that proper control mechanism, segregation of duties are in place and that Bank procedures are fully implemented.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- A minimum of a Master’s degree or its university equivalent in Accountancy, Finance or Administration.
- Membership to an internationally recognized professional accounting body (such as CA, CPA, ACCA or Expert Comptable) would be an advantage.
- A minimum of four (4) years of relevant experience preferably gained in an accounting firm or in an international/multinational financial organization, or a public or private sector organization.
- Capacity to work effectively in a team.
- Ability to communicate and write effectively in English or French preferably with good working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of the Bank’s standard software, such as Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint). Knowledge of SAP would be an advantage.
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Only applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are being considered for interview will be contacted. Applicants will only be considered if they submit an online application, and attach a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV). The AfDB President reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply: www.afdb.org/jobs