Google is and always will be an engineering company. We hire people with a broad set of technical skills who are ready to tackle some of technology's greatest challenges and make an impact on millions, if not billions, of users. At Google, engineers not only revolutionize search, they routinely work on massive scalability and storage solutions, large-scale applications and entirely new platforms for developers around the world. From AdWords to Chrome, Android to YouTube, Social to Local, Google engineers are changing the world one technological achievement after another.
The role: Technical Program Manager, GASP
Google's projects, like our users, span the globe and require managers to keep the big picture in focus while being able to dive into the unique engineering challenges we face daily. As a Technical Program Manager at Google, you lead complex, multi-disciplinary engineering projects using your engineering expertise. You plan requirements with internal customers and usher projects through the entire project lifecycle. This includes managing project schedules, identifying risks and clearly communicating them to project stakeholders. You're equally at home explaining your team's analyses and recommendations to executives as you are discussing the technical trade-offs in product development with engineers.
Using your extensive technical and leadership expertise, you manage projects of various size and scope, identifying future opportunities, improving processes and driving the technical directions of your programs.
- Manage technical projects or programs, working closely with external partners, Google engineers and technical as well as non-technical staff to design and launch infrastructure projects as well as training programs.
- Gather requirements and define the scope of the project. Find resources, manage resource allocation for projects. Develop a plan and schedule, with well-defined milestones.
- Manage communication of progress/status within the core team and external to the team (customers, partners, etc); escalate issues as necessary.
- BS/MS in Engineering or related technical field (In lieu of degree, relevant skills or equivalent experience).
- Experience managing large-scale technical projects for the complete life cycle, with competing resources and priorities.
- Experience as system or network administrator in a campus or large enterprise environment.
- Experience working in one or more of the following countries: Kenya, Uganda, South Africa, Senegal, Ghana, Nigeria.
- Strong communication skills and a data-driven analytical approach towards solving complex challenges.
- Ability to interact with diverse technical and non-technical groups, spanning all organizational levels.
Technical Program Manager, GASP - Lagos