|Vacancy Notice No: EMRO/12/FT232 |
Title: Director of Non-Communicable Diseases and Mental Health
Contract type: Fixed-Term Appointment
Duration of contract: Post of limited duration of 2 years
|Date: 17 June 2012 |
Application Deadline: 8 July 2012
(13 day(s) until closing deadline)
Currently accepting applications
Duty Station: Cairo, Egypt
Organization unit: EM Eastern Mediterranean (EM) /
EMRO Eastern Mediterranian Regional Office (EM/RGO)
Division of Non-Communicable Diseases and Mental Health
| OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME : |
The programmes to be covered in the area of non-communicable diseases and mental health will include, but not be limited to, non-communicable diseases prevention, mental health and substance abuse, chronic diseases management and tobacco free initiative.
To support and collaborate with the Member States to strengthen capacity for further development and implementation of national policies and strategies that ensure equitable and universal access to comprehensive preventive and clinical health care that responds to the population needs. To advise countries and build capacities to implement the major components of the UN political declaration.
| Description of duties: |
Purpose of the Post:
To lead, inspire and direct all the programmes in the area of non-communicable diseases and mental health both politically and technically. Furthermore to develop a strategy and plan of action for the overall area of non-communicable diseases and mental health that is in line with the Regional Director's (RD) vision and which is consistent with resolutions of the World Health Assembly and the political declaration of the United Nations General Assembly of September 2011 and the priorities and needs of Member States
Reporting to Director of Programme Management (DPM), the incumbent leads, directs, supervises, coordinates, monitors and evaluates the programmes under his/her supervision in accordance with overall organization's policies and strategies, strategic partnerships with countries and stakeholders.
Specifically, the tasks will entail technical coordination (to ensure synergy and added value in line with the divisional strategy and plan of action) and supervision of and support to the Regional Advisers (RA) to develop their specific technical programmes (to ensure each programme is evidence-based and coordinated with others in the Division and, where relevant, the programmes in other Divisions). The Director shall also be responsible for ensuring coordinated, effective and relevant technical support to the Member States in the areas under his/her responsibility. In addition the Director shall, together with the DPM, evaluate the programmes, be the first line supervisor of all the RA's in the Division and be responsible for the overall running and management of the Division. The Director will also work in close collaboration with the relevant clusters and units at headquarters
The incumbent is also responsible for the evidence base of policies, strategies and programmes and the quality assurance of scientific and technical outputs of the programmes in the Division.
Summary of assigned duties:
Under the direct supervision of the DPM and overall supervision of the RD, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
1. Lead and direct the RAs in the relevant technical programmes; provide technical leadership in the formulation of evidence-based regional policies on non-communicable diseases, mental health, tobacco free initiative and chronic diseases management;
2. Ensure effective management of human and financial resources for programmes under his/her direct supervision;
3. Promote intra- and inter-Divisional teamwork in planning and management of programmes that work to strengthen actions addressing the non-communicable diseases and mental health;
4. Initiate and coordinate capacity building in order to strengthen the non-communicable diseases and mental health function within the Organization;
5. In the area of non-communicable diseases and mental health, coordinate and maintain liaison with partner agencies within the UN system as well as with other multilateral and bilateral development agencies (including development banks) and WHO Collaborating Centres for reviewing, planning, management and evaluation of sector-wide approaches;
6. Within WHO's overall policy framework, advise countries in the region on taking innovative actions, and harmonize the work of EMRO's technical units at regional and country levels, as well as with national authorities on follow-up actions on major global conferences, conventions, global and regional declarations/resolutions related to non-communicable diseases and mental health;
7. Support the RD and DPM as part of the technical secretariat for the WHO governing bodies (World Health Assembly, Executive Board, Regional Committee and the Standing Committee of the Regional Committee (SCRC)) and other senior management and advisory meetings;
8. Serve as a member of EMRO's senior staff management and other senior advisory bodies, including acting as RD/DPM or other Division directors during their absence when so designated by RD/DPM;
9. Support Member States in their overall efforts to address non-communicable diseases and mental health in all strategic areas as required;
10. Work in close partnership with all relevant partners and stakeholders in the EMR countries as appropriate and play a role in resources mobilization.
| Education: |
University degree in medicine or public health and Masters degree in public health or areas directly related to the surveillance, prevention and management of non-communicable conditions.
| Skills: |
1. Promoting WHO's position in health leadership;
2. Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond;
3. Producing results;
4. Promoting innovation and organizational learning;
5. Ensuring the effective use of sources.
Functional Skills and Knowledge:
- Strategic knowledge of the areas under supervision.
- Leadership qualities including managerial skills to manage staff and budgets.
- Political and diplomatic skills.
- Thorough knowledge of WHO's mission, goals, policies, rules and regulations.
Proficiency in Microsoft Office package (e.g. Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, Excel, etc.).
| Experience: |
Essential: Over 10 years of progressively responsible experience, of which 5 years are at the international level with a proven track record in positions that required strong public health leadership of high-skilled professional teams in multidisciplinary settings.
Desirable: Experience in modern management techniques and in WHO technical programme management. Experience in management of health programmes in the area of non-communicable conditions.
| Languages: |
Excellent knowledge of English. Working knowledge of French or Arabic will be an asset.
| Additional Information: |
- Applicants are kindly requested to pay attention to the screening questions as they will be used to screen out unqualified candidates.
- Only qualified applicants with the relevant experience will be considered.
- A written test/presentation and interviews will be used as a form of screening. The written test might be used as an eliminatory tool.
- Other similar positions at the same level may be filled from this vacancy notice (this could be the base for rosters).
- Interviews will include competency-based questions.
|Annual salary: (Net of tax) |
95394.00 USD at single rate
103204.00 USD with primary dependants
|Post Adjustment: 39.8 % of the above figure(s). This percentage is to be considered as indicative since variations may occur each month either upwards or downwards due to currency exchange rate fluctuations or inflation.|
|A written test and interviews may be used as a form of screening|
|Online applications are strongly encouraged to enable WHO to store your profile in a permanent database. Please visit WHO's e-Recruitment website at: www.who.int/employment. The system provides instructions for online application procedures.|
|All applicants are encouraged to apply online as soon as possible after the vacancy has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the vacancy announcement.|
UN WOMEN: COORDINATION AND PLANNING SPECIALIST (READVERTISEMENT) - The UN Women (UNW), grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination agains...
1 day ago