Company Name: United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR-NGO)
Position Location: Harare, Zimbabwe
PURPOSE: The Head of Mission (HoM) is to lead and manage all programming, human resources, business development and Mission operations in Zimbabwe for UMCOR.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The Head of Mission, (HoM), based in Harare, will be responsible for over-all country office strategy, supervision, programming, program development, and overseeing all aspects of UMCOR’s presence. Central to the position will be the establishment, development and maintaining relationships with key agencies, including donors, international and local NGOs, UN offices, government offices, local partners, United Methodist Church Zimbabwe and other faith-based and United Methodist Church stakeholders.
The HoM will be responsible to ensure that all aspects of UMCOR’s programs in Zimbabwe are implemented in compliance with grant agreements, budgets and according to schedule. The HoM will develop and manage programs in tandem with staff. As part of program development, the HoM is expected to examine the funding situation in the country and solicit funding for programs. In addition, the position will be responsible for office and management procedures, assessing the security situation, and recruiting/supervising expatriate and national staff.
· Oversee all aspects of UMCOR Zimbabwe operations, including administration, human resources, security, project management and implementation.
· Lead any coordinated emergency response, early recovery and reconstruction efforts for UMCOR in Zimbabwe.
· Coordinate with HQ in the establishment and management of the mission strategy for UMCOR’s work in Zimbabwe.
· Develop work plans, in conjunction with program staff, for implementation of all programs; oversee implementation of all program activities and ensure work plans are followed or adjusted as needed.
· Design, prepare and negotiate project proposals and budgets, while maintaining oversight of the program, budget and expenditures to ensure timely use of funds.
· Ensure compliance with UMCOR and donor policies and procedures as they relate to personnel, security, procurement and financial management.
· Collaborate with and support all UMCOR efforts with the United Methodist Church Zimbabwe and other faith-based and United Methodist Church stakeholders in Zimbabwe as appropriate.
· Collaborate with the Finance Director in the administration of finance, including budget preparation and submission of financial reports, funds transfers, accounting, and related functions and also prepares and submits required narrative reports to UMCOR HQ, including project development and monthly reports.
· Ensure consistent high quality outputs and comprehensive monitoring, documenting and evaluation of all activities and their impacts.
· Actively coordinate program activities with other humanitarian and government agencies working in the area.
· Provide regular situation reports to HQ and timely program reports according to donor and internal UMCOR requirements.
· Monitor developments throughout Zimbabwe and assess local contextual needs with the view of new program development and expanding programming.
· Must be willing to travel extensively to conduct regular site visits for all programs
· Responsible for field office personnel recruitment, management and staff development.
· Communicate with HQ’s Program Unit on all aspects of programming.
· Other tasks as assigned by the Executive Director.
QUALIFICATIONS: Master’s Degree in international development or related field and five or more years of international experience. A solid background in leading and managing multi-faceted emergency response and early recovery, integrated programming, with strong program development and multi-donor networking and acquisition skills. Experience managing complex recovery and long-term sustainable food security/livelihood programs within an integrated community/rural development strategy aimed at poverty alleviation. Experience with managing programs, program development and USG-funded projects. Requires pro-active leadership, while possessing experience working in possible insecure environments.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES: Experience working with faith-based organization and constituency. Excellent written and oral communication skills in English required. Strong communication skills are desired. Strong networking, management and financial skills required.
Please apply at our website at http://jobs-umcor.icims.com/umcor_jobs/jobs/candidate/login.jsp?jobid=1351. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Applications received by Marc 4, 2012 will receive immediate review. This position will remain open until filled. We appreciate your interest in the United Methodist Committee on Relief. The United Methodist Committee on Relief, NGO is an Equal Opportunity Employer.