Research Fellow (Information Technology in Healthcare)
2012•02•01 - KUALA LUMPUR
• CLOSING DATE:31 March 2012 (deadline extended)
Reference Number : 2012/UNU/IIGH/FTA/RF(ITH)/01
United Nations University Objectives
The United Nations University (UNU) is an international community of scholars engaged in research, postgraduate training and dissemination of knowledge in furtherance of the purposes and principles of the United Nations, its Peoples and Member States. It serves as the academic arm for the United Nations System, contributes to capacity building particularly in developing countries, and serves as a platform for new and creative ideas and dialogue. In addition to the UN University Centre (Headquarters) located in Tokyo, UNU has already established 15 Research and Training Centres/Programmes worldwide.
About the UNU International Institute for Global Health (UNU-IIGH)
The establishment of UNU-IIGH befits the role of the United Nations in its efforts to resolve global health issues pertaining to the well-being of its peoples and member of states. The role of UNU-IIGH fulfills the needs to achieve the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) as the role transcends all the agendas as outlined in the MDGs.
We are looking for an outstanding individual with strong commitment to conducting research and capacity building in the area of Information Technology in Healthcare. The selected individual must be able to play a significant role towards the expansion of UNU-IIGH.
Under the supervision of the Director of UNU-IIGH, the Research Fellow is required to design, undertake, and coordinate research and capacity building in the thematic area of Information Technology in Healthcare. The main duties and responsibilities of the Research Fellow are:
• to be involved in the implementation of research activities in the thematic area of Information Technology in Healthcare;
• to attend meetings and discussions with key people related to the research activities;
• to plan, coordinate and evaluate the effectiveness of the research workshops;
• to identify, compile and undertake review of published and unpublished documents;
• to conduct qualitative and quantitative analysis of research data;
• to prepare drafts and final reports of related research projects for publication;
• to disseminate research publications locally and internationally;
• to collaborate with the support staff of UNU-IIGH research programmes on project planning and project administration;
• to be involved in the various research activities on the Open Source Technology in Health Care;
• to be involved in capacity building activities in the thematic area of Information Technology in Healthcare;
• to undertake supervision of postgraduate and postdoctorate candidates in UNU-IIGH;
• to be involved in the various capacity building activities on the Open Source Technology in Health Care;
• to be involved in the development of Open Source Software for Case-Mix System and the implementation of information technology to improve delivery in health care services;
• to seek funding from relevant bodies for UNU-IIGH’s Special Programme Contribution (SPC) budget allocation; and
• to perform any other tasks as may be assigned by Director of UNU-IIGH.
Qualifications and Experience Requirements
• a PhD in Public Health, Information Technology or related field of study;
• minimum 7 – 10 years of progressively relevant postgraduate work experience, including managing research programmes in academic, research or other institutional environments;
• proven track record of quality academic publications in Open Source or Information Technology in Health Care;
• experience in managing and seeking research funding from donors and international funding agencies;
• professional experience at a senior level in international organization and familiarity with the United Nations system will be of value;
• proficient in Open Source Software, Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel and PowerPoint), SPSS and related research software;
• excellent communication skills with fluency in spoken and written English. Knowledge of a second United Nations official language is an advantage;
• good team player with strong interpersonal skills demonstrated by the ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
Remuneration will commensurate with qualifications and experience according to suitability of candidates and start at P-4 level of the United Nations salary scale for professional staff, plus benefits.
For more information please visit:http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salary.htm.
Duration of Contract
This is a full-time position. Initial appointment will be on a fixed-term appointment of two years with the possibility of renewal on a rolling fixed-term appointment basis, subject to requirements and satisfactory work performance. The mandatory age of retirement for United Nations staff is 62 years old.
Staff members of the UNU are international civil servants subject to the authority of the Rector and may be assigned to any of the activities or offices of the University. The Rector reserves the right to appoint the candidate to a level below that which is advertised.
Applications from suitably qualified women candidates are particularly encouraged.
It is expected that the appointee will take up the position by July 2012 or earlier, subject to negotiation.
Interested applicants should submit their applications, preferably by e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org), and must include the following:
• a cover letter setting out how the applicant’s qualifications and experience match the requirements of the position;
• a curriculum vitae with a completed and signed UNU Personal History form. Please avoid using similar forms provided by other United Nations organizations; and
• full contact information of three referees.
The application must also indicate the reference number of the vacancy announcement (2012/UNU/IIGH/FTA/RF(ITH)/01)
Please note that applications received after the closing date will not be considered and only short-listed candidates will be notified.
Expert Senior en changement climatique h/f - - *Beginning date*: 01.07.2013 - *Expertise*: Environment Waste - *Status*: Tender - *Continent / Country*: Subsaharan Africa/Mali - *P...
22 hours ago