Room to Read seeks to transform the lives of millions of children in developing countries by focusing on literacy and gender equality in education. Working in collaboration with local communities, partner organizations and governments, we develop literacy skills and a habit of reading among primary school children, and support girls to complete secondary school with the relevant life skills to succeed in school and beyond.
We are non-governmental, non-religious and work with many local NGOs and community based organizations to implement our programs. We currently work in Bangladesh, Cambodia, India, Laos, Nepal, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Vietnam, and Zambia – countries with a desperate lack of resources to educate their children. Since our inception, Room to Read’s worldwide team has impacted over 6 million children by constructing more than 1,500 schools, establishing over 13,000 libraries, publishing 700 new children’s book titles in 11 local languages, and rewarding over 16,000 girls with long-term, holistic scholarships.
Room to Read has an annual budget of approximately US$44 million and our global staff numbers over 600. Our global headquarters is located in San Francisco, and we have smaller fundraising offices in Delhi, New York, Hong Kong, London, Mumbai, Sydney, and Tokyo. We have an Asia Regional Office located in New Delhi, a Southern Africa Regional Office in Pretoria, and program offices in Colombo, Dar es Salaam, Dhaka, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Kathmandu, Lusaka, New Delhi, Pretoria, Phnom Penh, and Vientiane.
The School Room Program Officer (SRPO) is responsible for implementing all aspects of the School Room Program including surveying potential project sites, training communities, supervising construction, monitoring and evaluation, and project reporting. S/he will provide technical oversight and assistance to school/partner construction committees as well as the School Room Program Associates (SRPAs) who report to him/her to ensure high quality and timely implementation of construction projects. Candidates with experience in engineering and/or construction are preferred. This position will require frequent travel to various provinces throughout Laos. The SRPO will report directly to Senior School Room Program Manager (SRPM) and/or the Program Director and will supervise SPRAs.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Oversee the progress and quality at 25-30 construction sites at the same time.
- Visit sites at least 1 time per month to:
- Verify all construction is correct per design drawings and of good quality
- Meet with school construction committees, SRPAs and communities to develop an action plan for each stage of construction
- Help SRPAs resolve any problems or conflicts that occur at the construction sites
- Verify all project records, including financial documents, are complete and correct.
- Coordinate with SRPM to survey and select construction project sites
- Provide community orientation and training at all construction project sites
- Provide data needed for Memoranda of Understanding to SRPM
- Work with school construction committees to assure their understanding of the design and time line of the project based on specifics approved by the SRPM
- Assist SRPM in development of BOQs for each project.
- Provide data needed for annual program budget to SRPM.
- Collaborate with SRPM to develop annual SR program plan.
- Monitor usage of funds at project site; ensure all of Room to Read’s financial procedures are followed correctly Complete monthly expense reports
- Ensure all required project documentation at the construction sites is complete and correct
- Ensure all project files are complete and up-to-date in Room to Read’s field offices
- Evaluate both self and SRPA performance and request professional development training from SRPM
- Update our project database accurately and on time
- Assist SRPM in completion of donor reports as needed
- Attend to donor affairs including hosting donor site visits and documenting inspiring stories from the field
- Participate in any other activities which may be required to be undertaken to fulfill the objectives of the organization.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in construction and field work or experience related to the tasks mentioned above
- At least 2-4 years experience in community development, particularly in the Education sector
- Ability to travel frequently throughout Laos
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Prior experience working with INGOs, schools, teachers, administrators and government officials
- Good command of computer programs including MS Office, Excel, familiarity with databases, and internet skills
To be successful as a member of the Room to Read team, you will also:
- Have passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact a dynamic nonprofit organization
- Be an innovative and creative thinker that tries new things and inspires others to do so
- Have a very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
- Have a strong work ethic and require minimal direction
- Work well independently as well as part of a team
- Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment
The salary range for this position will be determined based upon the experience of the candidate hired. The non-monetary compensation includes a unique opportunity to be part of an innovative, meaningful, and rapidly growing organization that is changing the world through literacy and gender equality in education.
If you think you are qualified for this post, please submit your cover letter and CV through email: Laos@roomtoread.org or firstname.lastname@example.org with "SR Program Officer" in the subject line.
You also can visit the INGO web site: http://www.directoryofngos.org
The shortlisted candidates only will be contacted and your CV will not be returned.
Room to Read is an equal opportunity employer committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds.