BoP Innovation Center
REGIONAL BOP INNOVATION MANAGER
FOR WEST AFRICA(SENIOR MANAGER LEVEL) for the BoP Innovation Center
based in Nigeria/Ghana
The BoP Innovation Center (BoPInc) develops, learns about and accelerates the impact and scale of inclusive innovation strategies. Its strategies are market-based and aim to include the base of the pyramid (BoP) as producers, consumers, entrepreneurs or distributors in the value chain. We provide an incubator space, where private parties can develop their business strategies towards BoP markets, together with a strong network of expert partners in public sector, NGOs, and knowledge institutes. Our involvement in numerous BoP business development strategies enables us to capture, process and share learnings about inclusive innovations.
The Netherlands Directorate – General for International Cooperation (DGIS) has awarded the “Toward Sustainable Clusters in Agribusiness through Learning in Entrepreneurship (2SCALE) project to a consortium of IFDC, ICRA and BoPInc. 2SCALE aims to develop 500 agribusiness clusters in 9 countries in Africa, being Benin, Ethiopia, Kenya, Mali, Mozambique, Nigeria, South Sudan, and Uganda. It is BoPInc’s responsibility to engage the (Dutch) private sector into these clusters, and provide consumer insights on the opportunities and constraints of the BoP market for nutritious food in the 9 countries.
To develop and support the activities of the BoPInc ‘on the ground’ we are interested in contracting a regional BoP Innovation Manager in West Africa (Nigeria/Ghana).
As a regional BoP Innovation Manager you will play a key role in setting up local and regional activities for the BoP Innovation Center. You will engage with local partners and stakeholders to orchestrate, develop and manage BoP activities and projects. For the period 2012-2016 the 2SCALE project will be a key project in BoPInc’s portfolio and your activities as a regional BoP Innovation Manager. The contract will be local.
Key activities for the regional BoP Innovation Manager are:
• Setup and orchestrate local and regional BoPInc activities related to realizing a local hub for inclusive innovation.
• Develop an expert’s perspective on developments, issues and trends in key sectors addressed by BoPInc: agriculture/food, energy, water and enabling services (IT, finance and insurance) for the region.
• Create awareness for BoPInc activities and initiatives in close alignment with BoPInc Senior Marketing Manager.
• Identify and propose sufficient promising opportunities for inclusive innovation, including the discovery and selection of local/regional promising ideas by developing a local inclusive innovation desk, translating development, issues and trends to potential leads and supporting BoPInc’s inclusive innovation business plan challenges.
• Develop and maintain a local/regional network of partners to facilitate and support BoPInc’s role on developing and accelerating BoP Innovations. This in close alignment with BoPInc’s senior management team.
• Strengthen the local/regional on-the-ground partnership network, by initiating training and coaching services to the local staff;
• Support BoPInc in identifying product and service requirements and development of relevant publications and consulting products/services support new business development in local/regional markets.
• Coordinate and manage programs and projects. A specific focus will be required for the 2SCALE project:
• Actively engage in preparing annual work plans, annual reporting and local / regional coordination of activities according to the plans;
• Act as the liaison with the regional and country representatives from IFDC to plan, coordinate and report on program and project activities;
• Initiate & manage local and regional activities in close alignment with BoPInc’s Senior Manager Business Development and Senior Marketing Manager according to the 5 year 2SCALE planning, the annual work plans and specific plans for developing business with Dutch private sector actors, cluster development plans and project plans;
• Strengthen the 2SCALE local on-the-ground partnership network, by providing training and coaching services to the local staff.
Qualifications & Requirements
• Strong affinity with the mission of BoP Innovation Center.
• Proven track record as entrepreneur or hands-on developer of innovative business ventures, including the development of business and investment plans;
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to operate successfully in an environment with multiple stakeholders and people that originate from different cultures;
• Knowledge of inclusive innovation, inclusive business development and/or realizing sustainable pro-poor business initiatives;
• Relevant Master’s degree or MBA;
• Proven experience with managing projects and budgets;
• Analytical and financial skills;
• Experience with market and consumer research methods, especially in the area of BoP consumer demands;
• Excellent communication, writing and presentation skills in English, and for West Africa also French;
• Available for frequent travelling through the region in Africa;
• Proficiency in Microsoft tools, including Word, PowerPoint and Excel;
• Results-driven, enthusiastic, resourceful, flexible and able to think out of the box – an intellectual and practical problem solver;
• Major advantages: background in agri & food sector; background with an international consulting firm; experience working in resource-poor countries; experience in the field of development cooperation and NGO’s.
BoP Innovation Center offers an excellent job opportunity in a dynamic international environment with a solid compensation and benefits package conform to sector standards.
How to apply
Suitable candidates can send their resume and cover letter in English to email@example.com, mentioning “Regional BoP Innovation Manager”. The deadline for applying for this position is September 1, 2012.
For more information please contact Taco de Nies at BoP Innovation Center, via +31 (0) 6- 27861533 and firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information on the BoP Innovation Center, visit www.bopinc.org
We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement.
UN WOMEN: COORDINATION AND PLANNING SPECIALIST (READVERTISEMENT) - The UN Women (UNW), grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination agains...
1 day ago