This position is based in London, UK.The area: Communications
It's our job to help inform and educate users, advertisers, partners and opinion leaders about the benefits of Google's products, our distinctive company culture/values, and our approach to the big public policy issues of the day. We are looking for quick-witted, entrepreneurial and intellectually curious people to join the team. To succeed here, you'll need to be able to combine creativity with the organizational skills to manage numerous different projects to tight deadlines simultaneously, as well as enjoy pitching to all kinds of journalists, bloggers and commentators (we find it hard too!). Things happen quickly at Google, and to get stuff done here you need to be an enthusiastic team player - a self-starter who can work cross-functionally and isn't frightened to take risks or try out new ways of doing things.The role: Communications Manager
As a member of the Global Communications & Public Affairs team, you will work cross-functionally to help communicate with journalists and other thought leaders; devise specific communications materials and campaigns based on understanding of journalists' interests; engage in face-to-face meetings with commentators and other opinion formers; develop print and web-based material supporting these campaigns; and counter misinformation that might interfere with our business and ability to serve our users. We're looking for great communicators who can understand complex issues and explain them in person and also via well written, simple blog posts, FAQs, video scripts and more.Responsibilities:
- Manage all communications activities for Google in the UK, including management of the UK PR team, and a PR agency to help support day-to-day inquiries, special projects, and events.
- Represent Google as a company spokesperson for a wide variety of media and blogger inquiries.
- Collaborate with Google engineering, product, sales, and marketing teams to create compelling communications strategies that illustrate the functionality and key benefits of our consumer and advertising products.
- Develop close, productive relationships with journalists, bloggers, product reviewers and our key partners in the UK.
- Develop written materials, including story pitches, messaging guidelines, press releases, Q&As, presentations and speeches. Train and provide advice to company officials for press conferences, media interviews and trade presentations. Minimum Qualifications:
- BA/BS degree. In lieu of degree, relevant skills or equivalent experience.
- Experience in managing teams. Preferred Qualifications:
- Professional experience in fast-paced business, media or non-profit environment in the UK.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to think, plan and execute on multiple projects simultaneously in an organized fashion.
- Demonstrated ability to work calmly and maintain good judgment in fast-paced, high-stress environments.
- Ability to work with colleagues in different countries and understand cultural differences.
Company DescriptionGoogle is not a conventional company, and we don't intend to become one. True, we share attributes with the world's most successful organizations - a focus on innovation and smart business practices comes to mind - but even as we continue to grow, we're committed to retaining a small-company feel. At Google, we know that every employee has something important to say, and that every employee is integral to our success. We provide individually-tailored compensation packages that can be comprised of competitive salary, bonus, and equity components, along with the opportunity to earn further financial bonuses and rewards. Googlers thrive in small, focused teams and high-energy environments, believe in the ability of technology to change the world, and are as passionate about their lives as they are about their work.
- March 12, 2012
- Not Applicable
- Public Relations, Marketing
- Information Services, Internet
- Job ID: