Akilah Institute for Women
Akilah is developing a model for a network of campuses across Africa that will offer transformational business education for young women. It is a model that challenges the preexisting norms about education and career development for women. Students are prepared to succeed as leaders and entrepreneurs by completing a rigorous 2-year Diploma in Business that includes a longer school year, mandatory community service, leadership & ethics courses, internships, and a personalized counseling program. Akilah develops market-relevant curriculum in close partnership with the private sector to ensure job placement. Student-run social enterprises ensure financial sustainability of the organization and offer experiential business learning opportunities for students.
Akilah has successfully completed two academic years and now in our third year, we are experiencing overwhelming interest from potential future students, and strong support from the private sector, our students’ future employers. Akilah has developed a reputation in the Rwandan community for creating an environment of excellence that prepares students to succeed in a professional career path while emphasizing leadership development and entrepreneurial skills. Akilah offers a 2-year Business Diploma, with a major in either Hospitality Management or Entrepreneurship.
The Akilah Institute for Women is currently inviting applications for the position of Executive Director (ED). Reporting directly to the CEO, the ED provides key leadership and strategic direction for the organization at large. This is a dynamic position requiring a combination of strong leadership qualities and management skills to oversee operations and ensure the success of a rapidly growing start-up educational organization. Our current Executive Director is moving to another senior leadership role in the organization; besides the ongoing collaboration between the outgoing & new ED in their respective new roles, the current ED will transition the new ED into this position.
• Work closely with the Akilah CEO to provide leadership and vision in the development/implementation of all Akilah Programs: academic, leadership, mentorship, internship and campus enterprises
• Lead, manage and inspire Akilah staff by championing organizational values; promoting a collaborative work environment and communicating expectations to staff; and recognizing staff as merited;
• Lead, manage and oversee Akilah staff, students and visiting fellows to ensure that institutional goals and objectives are being carried out effectively;
• Work with and oversee the activities of the Business Development Manager to develop business plans, sustainability strategies, and on-campus social enterprises, including the Akilah Farm in Bugesera District;
• Oversee management of the organizational budget, oversee financial transactions, and ensure compliance with legal and regulatory requirements;
Strengthen Organizational Capacity
• Oversee operations in a way that realizes the organizational mission, ensures excellence and encourages innovation.
• Promote an organizational culture that: (1) inspires and motivates staff, community partners and board members; and (2) creates other internal promoters.
• Attract and retain a diverse team of talented, culturally sensitive and competent staff to provide high quality services to young women.
• Assess administrative and management systems, staffing structure, HR policies, facilities, and use of technology and resources; apply increasingly sophisticated business practices to build organizational capabilities and capacity to ensure excellence, improve efficiency and effectiveness, and support current and future needs.
• Provide mentorship, supervision and appropriate leadership and professional development opportunities to all staff.
Academic Quality/Job Placement
• Manage and support (or fulfill the responsibilities of) the Academic Director to create an academically rigorous program that enables Akilah to effectively fulfill its mission of training young Rwandan women to become leaders and entrepreneurs in the private sector;
• Build a culture of collaboration among the faculty in order to realize academic efficiencies and build synergies across different courses and programs;
• Manage metrics/assessment system;
• Manage relations with internship hosts and employers (existing and prospective);
• Strive to achieve 100% job placement rate for Akilah graduates;
• Develop, manage and cultivate relationships with the local Advisory Council members to support the market-relevant implementation of existing academic programs, as well as the development of new ones;
• Oversee and manage the development and implementation of curriculum, to include the matching with course materials, syllabi and lesson plans.
Resource Mobilization/External Relations
• Liaise with local community members and build strategic partnerships in the public, private and NGO sectors;
• Develop and maintain relationships with both local and international stakeholders/donors and private sector leaders;
• Identify internship and part-time/full-time employment opportunities for students and graduates;
• Host visiting donors and stakeholders at Akilah;
• Identify and cultivate potential funders, as possible and appropriate;
• Represent Akilah at both local and international conferences;
• Recruit and support local Advisory Council members in alignment with new Diploma programs/tracks.
Communications and Outreach
• Work with Director of Admissions, and Marketing staff to develop strategy to demonstrate Akilah’s impact and results to donors and supporters in Rwanda;
• Oversee quality control/assurance for all public marketing materials;
• Communicate regularly with Akilah students via a Student-Staff Forum to ensure internal organizational clarity and to provide a dependable & transparent platform for student questions, concerns and feedback.
• Dedication to working in a vibrant start-up environment;
• An understanding of challenges facing young women in East Africa;
• Minimum 5 years of management experience, preferably in a non-profit or educational institution;
• Master’s degree in a related field;
• Exceptional communication and diplomacy skills;
• Proven strength in financial management and prudence, including developing and managing budgets, cash flow analysis, and financial reporting;
• The ability to think strategically and plan for the long-term success of the organization – maintain the “bigger picture” while managing minutia;
• Proven ability to manage, motivate and train staff and faculty within a deadline-driven and culturally-diverse environment;
• Proven track record in ability to manage stress and maintain professionalism in high pressure situations and environments;
• Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to design and maintain effective systems, organize resources, and establish priorities;
• Strong facilitation and conflict resolution skills;
• Solid negotiation skills among diverse perspectives;
• Excellent problem-solving skills required, including creativity, resourcefulness, timeliness, and technical knowledge related to higher education and training;
• Sensitivity to needs of culturally and linguistically diverse student population;
• Willingness and ability to go above and beyond the daily work day (work some evenings and weekends, as needed).
• Based on experience;
• If Applicable: One annual flight from Africa to home country.
Ideal start date
• June 15, 2012
Please submit your CV and a detailed cover letter to
by April 15, 2012.
CaLP Capacity Building Officer– The Cash Learning Partnership - TEAM PURPOSE: The Cash Learning Partnership (CaLP) is an interagency partnership that promotes the appropriate use of cash transfers in emergencies throu...
13 hours ago