For over 45 years and in 146 countries, ACDI/VOCA has empowered people in developing and transitional nations to succeed in the global economy. Based in Washington, D.C., ACDI/VOCA is a nonprofit international development organization that delivers technical and management assistance in agribusiness, financial services, enterprise development, community development and food security in order to promote broad-based economic growth and vibrant civil society. ACDI/VOCA currently has approximately 97 projects in 38 countries and revenues of over $140 million.
Local Governance Media Program Consultant, Iraq
We are currently seeking a short-term Local Governance Media Program Consultant for the ongoing USAID-funded Iraq Community Action Program. This community-based program fosters direct citizen participation in the rehabilitation of their communities to address local needs. As follow-on to the successful CAP I and II programs, the USAID/Iraq Community Action Program (CAP III) aims to enhance the capacity of community groups and local government councils to better articulate their needs and mobilize resources to solve common problems, and to assist innocent victims of conflict under the Marla Ruzicka Iraqi War Victims Fund Program. The purpose of the consultancy is to design and assist in the implementation of an electronic (radio/TV) media outreach and advocacy strategy in four northern Iraqi provinces to promote and enhance the citizen outreach activities of local councils and also provide an effective means for community members to respond and express their concerns, needs and opinions to their elected or appointed representatives in government. The consultancy will include two separate visits to Iraq, during which time the consultant will be based primarily in Kirkuk. The first would take place on/about May 1-June 4, 2012 and the second would take place on/about June 21-July 15, 2012.
- Prior to arrival in-country, review the USAID/Iraq Community Action Program ACDI/VOCA program reports, its CDD model and linkage with local councils, the laws governing local council and provincial councils, electronic media outlets and other relevant documents in order to inform the design of media/outreach strategies for each of the 4 target provinces.
- Design and conduct an informal survey on citizen access and use of media in the four Iraqi northern provinces of Diyala, Kirkuk, Ninawa and Salah ad Din. Determine the content for the survey, prepare the questionnaire or other survey tools, analyze the resulting data, and prepare a survey report.
- Design, prepare and finalize a detailed local governance media outreach/advocacy program strategy based on the survey for each of the 4 provinces in consultation with local councils and key ACDI/VOCA staff.
- Develop a workplan detailing how these strategies will be implemented in each of the four provinces.
- Orient and train national consultants to help implement the local governance media program.
- Supervise and mentor national consultants in the implementation of the media outreach program in the 4 provinces of Diyala, Kirkuk, Ninawa and Salah ad Din.
- Bachelor’s degree in broadcast journalism, mass communications, or human/social sciences is required. Advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum of 5-7 years’ experience in designing and producing electronic (radio/TV) communication for diverse cultural and social audiences required.
- Prior experience producing inter-active community outreach programs utilizing radio/television for local government required.
- Familiarity with USAID-funded programs desirable.
- Working experience with international development organizations and local governance and community development highly preferred.
- Ability to work in complex/post-conflict environments is required. Previous work and/or understanding of Middle East and Iraq context are highly preferred.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and on high profile, results-oriented projects required.
- Good computer skills, including MS Office required.
- Ability to work autonomously to achieve performance objectives and deliverables required.
- Fluency in written and spoken English required; Additional Kurdish and/or Arabic language skills are preferred.
- Lars Volz
Please apply online at http://acdivoca.maxhire.net/cp/?E55568361D43515B7E59192F77561D680C62774B. No phone calls please. Only finalists contacted. Women and minorities encouraged to apply. EOE.