Organization : Greenpeace Africa
Department : Campaigns / Actions
Job Title : Policy Advisor
Reports to : Campaigns Director
The policy advisor is line-managed by the Campaign Director and based in Johannesburg, South Africa. Regular travel within Africa and internationally is required.
OVERALL PURPOSE OF JOB
As a member of the Programme Team, the job purpose is to develop and maintain a high level of understanding of developments in the field of environmental policy and legislation in Africa in order to provide advice on political, legislative and business components of campaign projects in line with organizational aims, objectives and campaign requirements, currently focused on promoting forest protection in the DRC and the Congo Basin, preventing fisheries exploitation in West Africa, and developing an energy revolution in South Africa to fight climate change. This includes:
• Effective engagement with key national and regional stakeholders
• In depth analysis of current developments
• Effective contribution to achieving policy change
MAIN AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
1. ISSUE DEVELOPMENT
• Lead the development and implementation of political and legislative components of Greenpeace Africa campaigns, including through the development of strategic political roadmaps for the issue.
• Lead the development and implementation of Greenpeace Africa’s engagement strategy in key regional policy processes and fora.
• Be able to operate in fast changing circumstances with ability to quickly and effectively adjust plans to best deliver objectives.
• Represent Greenpeace in international, regional and national political and/or business as well as media on specific issues in order to ensure that the objectives, recommendations and submissions of Greenpeace Africa are effectively presented and adopted in accordance with strategic campaign and organizational objectives.
• Develop and maintain extensive contacts and relationships with all relevant political and business bodies and other NGOs in order to build effective networks and partnerships that promote Greenpeace campaign and organizational objectives.
• Develop and maintain effective work relationships with the international Greenpeace community and Greenpeace Africa units; provide advise and analysis to the international political and business strategy development; participate in international meetings and delegations as required.
5. CAMPAIGN LIAISON
• Work with GPAf campaigners and international staff to advise, develop and support strategic thinking, highlighting potential regional or national political opportunities and which multilateral political bodies and / or business most need to be influenced to meet organizational and campaign objectives.
• Provide political in-depth analysis and campaigns briefings as required.
• Maintain a general knowledge of recent and relevant multilateral environmental legislative, political and business developments in the field, in order to ensure that Greenpeace is able to respond effectively to new developments.
• Provide high level advise to the Executive Director and the Senior Management Team
• Prepare substantive briefings, updates, and talking points with the campaign and communication teams to ensure the consistent external communication of issues. Represent Greenpeace in all forms of media, both pro-actively and reactively.
• Work openly and co-operatively with other team members.
• Communicate effectively with other team members.
• Respond to challenge, explore new ideas and take initiatives in all aspects of team work.
• Adapt role within team as appropriate, including playing supportive role to other members of the team as necessary.
• Take full part in the self-evaluation of team campaign projects at their completion.
• Provide input and contribute to teamwork and team building within Greenpeace Africa as required, including taking the lead on projects, translation, and facilitation of meetings.
SKILLS REQUIRED / QUALIFICATIONS
• Advanced academic qualification in international political or business sciences or law, or equivalent experience.
• Minimum of 5 years proven expertise and knowledge in high level political negotiations across Africa.
• Proven experience in high level external meetings in Africa.
• Proven ability to effectively adjust plans to rapidly changing curcumntsanes, and to operate under pressure.
• Excellent communication skills, including strong writing skills and proven ability to present in all forms of media.
• Fluent in speaking and writing English and French Preferably one other African Language
• Experience of working in a multi-cultural environment
• Demonstrable commitment to environmental /peace issues
Ideal candidate should be of African Nationality.
Greenpeace Africa is committed to the achievement of diversity and equity in employment.
Greenpeace Africa Offers competitive remuneration package.
Those who meet the above requirements should submit their resume including cover letter to attention of HR Manager email@example.com . Closing date 15 June 2012. If applicants have not been contacted within 2 weeks of closing date, they can assume that their applications have been unsuccessful.
Assistant/Associate/Full Professors in Engineering - *India’s Capital Region (Around Delhi)* Sharda University is a leading university promoted by SGI Group in India. It is a multidisciplinary and multicul...
17 hours ago