ICCT - International Council on Clean Transportation
The International Council on Clean Transportation (ICCT) is an independent, non-profit organization founded to provide first-rate, unbiased research with technical and scientific analysis to environmental regulators around the globe. The ICCT works in major transportation markets all over the world with a focus on reduction of transportation sector emissions globally. Recently in the news, the ICCT has been involved in uncovering evidence that lead to the Volkswagen emissions testing scandal, and in developing the first global CO2 emissions standard for aviation. Groundbreaking work done by ICCT’s researchers contributes to the removal of millions of tons of emissions every year.
We currently seek a highly committed, self-directed person to join our Fuels team as a researcher or a senior researcher (level based on past work experience). The Fuels team works mainly on issues around bioenergy for transport and the carbon intensity of the fossil fuel supply. We expect the successful candidate to work across a range of technical and policy areas, and take on other projects as the need arises.
Current work priorities
- Engage effectively with regulators and industrial and environmental stakeholders in the development of post-2020 fuels policy in Europe;
- Explore opportunities to develop sustainable cellulosic biofuel industries within the EU and U.S. (cf. the ICCT’s ‘Wasted’ report);
- Technical analysis and outreach to help support the development of low-carbon fuel policy in the U.S., Europe and Indonesia.
Position duties and responsibilities
- Working with the ICCT team to conduct original analysis and write technical reports, policy briefings, and blogs;
- Being highly numerate and able to answer complex technical questions in a thorough, logical, and clear manner;
- Connecting the dots between research and policy when engaging with stakeholder in order to advance the ICCT mission; and
- Supervising external consultants so they undertake and complete commissioned research efficiently;
- The ideal candidate will have a strong technical background with a foundation in bioenergy, sustainability and land use and will be committed to mitigating climate change. The ideal candidate will also be interested in contributing to ICCT’s other research programs as research needs arise.
Minimum qualifications for either position
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject plus a postgraduate degree in a technical discipline or comparable experience;
- Proven success as a project manager, including some experience managing and collaborating with other research staff;
- Strong understanding of sustainability, economic, and technical issues related to bioenergy production;
- Superior written and verbal communication skills, plus great interpersonal skills for engagements and interactions with co-workers and external stakeholders;
- Works well independently and manages projects effectively and within budget;
- Continuous development and deepening of high-level expertise on a wide and disparate range of technical and policy areas; and
- Desires to take a central role supporting the development of cleaner fuels regulations.
To be considered for the senior level role, we also require
- Considerable professional/academic experience in at least one of our key research areas;
- Demonstrated capacity for strategic leadership; and
- Preferred, although not required, a Ph.D or Master’s degree in environmental science, engineering, physical sciences or related discipline. We are open to technically-able candidates with a social sciences background.
The ICCT offers a mission-driven, egalitarian, culturally diverse workplace where intelligence, flexibility, transparency, and good humor are highly valued. We provide a robust benefits package including a commuting subsidy. The preferred location for this position is Berlin, Germany. Learn more about us at www.theicct.org.
To apply, please send resume, a cover letter with salary expectations (as an attachment), one writing or project sample, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line indicate “Fuels Researcher” or “Fuels Senior Researcher” as applicable to your qualifications. Salary TBD based on experience and education. Preference will be given to candidates who provide all requested materials and whose cover letters directly address the position being offered and demonstrate a genuine interest in our mission.
This is an immediate opening and the position will remain open until filled. Interested applicants are encouraged to apply now. Applicants without the supplemental materials will receive less consideration. No calls and no recruiters, please. EOE.