- Position title: Senior Communication Officer (Multimedia) - External Relations & Communication Unit
- Grade: PL-5
- Position N°: NA
- Reference: BAD/12/149
- Publication date: 24/05/2012
- Closing date: 24/06/2012
The main activities of the External Relations and Communication Unit (ERCU) are to plan, prepare and implement public relations and corporate communication programmes aimed at making the Bank better known to its various constituents so as to establish, promote and maintain its credibility and good reputation. The Unit enables the Bank to promote a better understanding of how the Institution is perceived internally and externally.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the general supervision of the Head of the External Relations and Communication Unit, the successful candidate will be responsible for programming, monitoring and evaluation of the Unit’s activities and supporting implementation of the management plan, in accordance with Bank rules and procedures. S/he will further be responsible for:
- The Technological Watch: (i) Coordinate the technological surveillance programme as relates to all the technical products used by ERCU; (ii) Identify new technologies making it possible to improve ERCU performances and extend its range of products and services offered internally and externally; (iii) Assess these technologies and recommend- or otherwise- their introduction, based on the value-added for the Bank; (IV) Formulate, for the different sections of the External Relations and Communication Unit, the implementation and utilization of technological innovations (data bases, media, video conferencing facilities, conference tools such as the teleprompter).
- Optimized Bank coverage of events: (i) Guide and supervise the team responsible for photo and video coverage of various events organized by the Bank or involving its participation; (ii) Coordinate dossiers on external service providers to cover events organized by the Bank or involving its participation; (iii) Programme and manage the teleprompter for use at Bank events; (iv) Monitor the virtual press conference system for Bank events, targeting the national and international press; (v) Coordinate the archiving and processing of video and audio files (sampling, assembly, editing, etc…) for use on the web site or other media.
- Multimedia Design: (i) Produce CD/DVDs on events organized by the Bank or involving its participation; (ii) Assist the different Bank organizational units in designing their own multimedia products (CD/DVDs, touch screens, executable USBs...); ( iii) Schedule interactive multimedia presentations; ( iv) Formulate animation strategies for the different Bank internal information media; information murals, multimedia kiosks, intranet; (v) Assist departments with the multimedia aspects for their stands at conferences or exhibitions: photo displays, looped films, multimedia products.
- Multimedia Portals: (i) Ensure the multiplatform application of the different multimedia products (through mobiles, PCs, Apple, etc. …) ; (ii) Distribution of multimedia products produced by the Bank through the different media; classic PCs, Smartphones and tablets; (iii) Diffusion of multimedia products from the Headquarters or Temporary Relocation Agency to the Field Offices; (iv) Deploy the Bank’s multimedia products to the appropriate social networks (You Tube, Picasa…); (v) Coordinate the archiving, indexing and searching of the Multimedia Unit’s information stock; (vi) Improve the existing procedure and facilitate access to the Multimedia Unit's information holdings for all staff by developing an intranet based-network system for the Multimedia Unit's documents.
- Resource Management: (i) Negotiate, with external service providers, the technical and financial conditions defining the framework for coverage of events organized by the Bank or involving its participation (filming, event recording, photo report…); (ii) Ensure that framework agreements are drawn up with the different external service providers, to optimize costs and limit direct negotiation to a minimum; (iii) Recommend regular updating of the Multimedia Unit’s tools; (iv) Make maximum use of the multimedia unit’s digital equipment, thus reducing the use of external service providers for production of storage media (CD, DVD…); (v) Build partnership relations with sister organizations, so as to enrich the Bank’s Multimedia Unit and draw on the lessons learnt by other Development Finance Institutions; (vi) Ensure the maintenance of Multimedia Unit equipment and materials; (vii) Recommend regular and appropriate updating of the Multimedia Unit facilities, in function of emerging equipment and software solutions.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- • At least a DEA/DESS or Masters, or equivalent diploma in Multimedia Studies or Information Technology or in a related specialization;
- A minimum of five (5) years professional experience in multimedia activities, with a minimum of three (3) years relevant professional experience in an international development agency;
- Show a sense of innovation and anticipation of needs;
- Very good listening skills and client orientation;
- Ability to lead and supervise a technical team;
- Ability to steer projects and capacity to implement technological and technical solutions;
- Information technology skills, notably relating to programming and databases;
- Fully proficient with multimedia and audio-visual tools. Skilled use of teleprompter would be an advantage;
- Capacity to design audio-visual products for deployment through different media or channels: interactive CD and DVDs, TV, radio, Web, tablets;
- Mastery of the physical environment required to manage photo, audio and video activities;
- Ability to communicate and write effectively in English with a good working knowledge of French.
- Marked willingness to assist; very good interpersonal skills; able to network and maintain productive professional relations in a multicultural environment;
- Proven ability to work efficiently in a context of multicultural teams;
- Conversant with standard Bank software (Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint).
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
- Submitted by: Harold, AKINBADE-TAYLOR, Acting Division Manager, CHRM.1
- Approved by: Gemina ARCHER-DAVIES, Director, CHRM
Only applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are being considered for interview will be contacted. Applicants will only be considered if they submit an online application, and attach a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV). The AfDB President reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply: www.afdb.org/jobs