Room to Read seeks to transform the lives of millions of children in developing countries by focusing on literacy and gender equality in education. Working in collaboration with local communities, partner organizations and governments, we develop literacy skills and a habit of reading among primary school children, and support girls to complete secondary school with the relevant life skills to succeed in school and beyond.
We are non-governmental, non-religious and work with many local NGOs and community based organizations to implement our programs. We currently work in Bangladesh, Cambodia, India, Laos, Nepal, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Vietnam, and Zambia – countries with a desperate lack of resources to educate their children. Since our inception, Room to Read’s worldwide team has impacted over 6 million children by constructing more than 1,500 schools, establishing over 13,000 libraries, publishing 700 new children’s book titles in 11 local languages, and rewarding over 16,000 girls with long-term, holistic scholarships.
Room to Read has an annual budget of approximately US$44 million and our global staff numbers over 600. Our global headquarters is located in San Francisco, and we have smaller fundraising offices in Delhi, New York, Hong Kong, London, Mumbai, Sydney, and Tokyo. We have an Asia Regional Office located in New Delhi, a Southern Africa Regional Office in Pretoria, and program offices in Colombo, Dar es Salaam, Dhaka, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Kathmandu, Lusaka, New Delhi, Pretoria, Phnom Penh, and Vientiane.
The Reading Room Program Manager is responsible for carrying out all activities of Room to Read’s library program, including surveying, program implementation, monitoring and evaluation, and project reporting. S/he will have frequent travelling to all the provinces where Room to Read works in, as well as regular interaction with government officers, school administrators, teachers and pupils. S/he will directly report to the Program Director.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Liaise with government officials and NGO partners to carry out partnership and implementation of [Reading Room Program]
- Plan on survey to identify schools or partners that are in need and meet all our criteria for the challenge grant. Work with Program Officers in developing, reviewing make recommendations and finalizing target selection Room to Read [Reading Room Program]
- Organize training TOT for Reading Room Officer and government partner on library establishment and library management
- Make random visits to project sites to supervise the site and organize discussions with the school/partner management team and local authorities. Gather feedback and ensure that they deliver on their portion of the challenge grant and on all terms of agreement with Room to Read.
- Ensure of data entry and GI collection of the Reading Room Program Officers
- Complete detailed written reports in a timely basis to headquarters regarding the status and progress
- Attend to donor affairs including hosting donor site visits and documenting anecdotes that evolve through field work
- Document best practices and lessons learned during field work and share with other project sites, relevant local staff, the Program Director/Country Director and appropriate RO/GO based Program Officers
- Extend support to local and outside volunteers in order to get their inputs in to the program.
- Participate in any other activities which may be required to be undertaken to fulfill the objectives of the organization.
- Establish and manage relationships with other NGO’s, government officials and local educational facilities/authorities
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- Development of curriculum and materials for librarian trainings
- Lead the coordinating, conducting and facilitating training workshops on librarian management and activities promoting art and literacy development
- Plan for book procurement to Procurement Committee and provide information as needed by PC.
- Ensure book distribution and libraries establish as time line.
- Ensure of book check out and libraries activities conducting.
- Monthly forecast and spend report of Reading Room Program as needed
- Provide technical assistance to Reading Officers and partners in management of program, libraries and conducting activities and make suggestions for improving quality and utilization of libraries.
- Supervise work of the Reading Room Program Officers, providing direction for his/her role in library implementation and management of books to be distributed
- Represent Room to Read in different forums and advocate the importance of reading and need for libraries for children
Qualification and Experience:
- Master Degree in Education, Social Science, Project Management or other related fields
- Minimum 5 years of working experience in the international NGOs in the education or social development areas as well as require to have experience in leadership and management roles
- Good knowledge and understanding of education issues including teaching methodologies and literacy instruction
- Ability to plan and manage a budget, solving problem, delegation, supervisory and coaching
- Good command in Lao and English (both written and oral
- Good computer skill (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Good communication, high commitment and trustworthy person
- Ability to travel frequently to our target provinces.
To be successful as a member of the Room to Read team, you will also:
- Have passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact a dynamic nonprofit organization
- Be an innovative and creative thinker that tries new things and inspires others to do so
- Have a very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
- Have a strong work ethic and require minimal direction
- Work well independently as well as part of a team
- Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment
The salary range for this position will be determined based upon the experience of the candidate hired. The non-monetary compensation includes a unique opportunity to be part of an innovative, meaningful, and rapidly growing organization that is changing the world through literacy and gender equality in education.
If you think you are qualified for this post, please submit your cover letter and CV through email: Laos@roomtoread.org or firstname.lastname@example.org with "RR Program Manager" in the subject line.
You also can visit the INGO web site: http://www.directoryofngos.org
The shortlisted candidates only will be contacted and your CV will not be returned.
Room to Read is an equal opportunity employer committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds.