Position: Programme Director
Start Date: 1 November 2012 (preferred)
Based in: Enschede, the Netherlands
The Water Footprint Network (WFN) is a dynamic, international, continuous learning community with around 200 partners in 40 countries committed to promoting sustainable, equitable and efficient water use through the advancement of the Water Footprint. Established in 2008 with partners from academia, NGOs, international organisations, governments and business sectors, WFN is a fast growing organization at the cutting edge of the methodology, data, tools and application of Water Footprint Assessment (WFA). Currently the Water Footprint Network is seeking a Programme Director (m/f).
The mission of the Water Footprint Network is to promote the transition towards sustainable, fair and efficient use of fresh water resources worldwide.
As a centre of excellence for Water Footprint Assessment, the Water
Footprint Network’s work programme consists of:
1. Developing standards, methods, guidelines and criteria for Water Footprint Assessment;
2. Facilitating Water Footprint Assessment research and development;
3. Promoting training, knowledge exchange & dissemination;
4. Developing practical tools for Water Footprint Assessment;
5. Supporting organisations in conducting a Water Footprint Assessment and developing a sustainable and fair water policy; and
6. Reviewing and certifying the use of Water Footprint Assessment.
The organisation is characterised by a high level of internal communications with its partner base and external communications with relevant water initiatives, technical audiences and media to ensure that the development and application of the water footprint is aligned with and informs water governance, water stewardship, corporate water management, water disclosure, sectoral policy and national and global water statistics.
The Programme Director will be primarily responsible for the development and delivery of WFN’s Work Programme, for ensuring the scientific and technical rigour of WFA applications and will have lead responsibility for specific projects and initiatives.
Profile of the candidate:
• Strong background and network (at least 10 years experience) in the global water sector
• Academic level education with at least an Msc degree and doctorate preferred in water/ natural resources/ environmental management
• Record of scientific leadership in relevant subject area
• Proven project management and staff supervision skills to lead a small, highly professional multicultural team operating in different international locations
• Proven track record in fundraising
• Clear, balanced communicator comfortable with public presentations; understands different stakeholder perspectives in integrated water resources management
• Excellent time management, ability to manage competing demands with grace and to work well under pressure
• Excellent communication skills in English – writing, speaking and listening, other languages a plus
• Proven commitment to the Water Footprint Network’s mission
• Ability to travel frequently and internationally
• International work experience and experience working with companies, governments, NGOs, international organizations, investors and academia
• Familiarity with standard setting, quality assurance, certification
• Experience teaching complex concepts and quantitative approaches to a non-technical audience
• An enthusiastic, dynamic and amiable person
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provide scientific and technical leadership in the development and execution of WFN’s Strategic Plan and Work Programme
2. Deliver management and oversight of WFN’s Quality Assurance
3. Take lead responsibility for project acquisition and implementation and supervision of WFN project staff and consultants in the delivery of the Work Programme
4. Develop, coordinate and deliver WFN’s Training Programme
5. Establish WFN’s Research Network as a means to accomplish WFN’s research agenda
6. Represent WFN in conferences, workshops, meetings, media and with relevant initiatives
7. With the Executive Director and WFN Staff, develop and deliver partner engagement activities
8. Participate with the Executive Director on WFN’s Management Team and contribute to decisions on general management, finance, fundraising, staffing, science and projects
The Programme Director is supervised by the Executive Director. As part of the Management Team of WFN, s/he works together with the Executive Director in the general management of the WFN. The Programme Director supervises the work of staff in the projects in which s/he takes the lead and on occasion interns, students and sub-contractors. S/he works together with the other staff of the Water Footprint Network to deliver all activities of Water Footprint Network. S/he is responsive to the Water Footprint Network Partners.
The position is offered for a 2 year period with probable extension. The preferred starting date is 1 November 2012. The job is located at the University of Twente in Enschede, The Netherlands.
Information and applications
For more information about this job offer please email
with ‘Programme Director’ in the subject heading. More information about the Water Footprint Network is available at www.waterfootprint.org.
Your motivation letter provided with a CV, salary requirements (40 hour work week) and three references should be submitted no later than August 30, 2012 by e-mail to email@example.com with reference to the vacancy
DIRECTOR OF PROGRAMS AND ADMINISTRATION - DIRECTOR OF PROGRAMS AND ADMINISTRATION Deadline: 1 July 2013 Location: Kampala, Uganda Duration of contract: One year, renewable BACKGROUND The East and Hor...
11 hours ago