Armed Conflict Database Research Assistant: Europe & Former Soviet Union
The International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS), the world’s leading authority on political-military conflict, has a vacancy in its Washington, DC, office for a fixed-term, part-time position of Armed Conflict Database Research Assistant: Europe & Former Soviet Union.
The position lasts for six months starting on approximately September 4, 2012, with a possibility of renewal. The pay is $9 per hour with a maximum of 20 hours per week. You will report to Hanna Ucko-Neill, IISS Global Conflicts Analyst and ACD Coordinator, based in London, and work closely with the IISS-US Managing Director and the IISS Senior Fellow for Russia and Eurasia, both based in the IISS Washington, DC, office. The position is ideally suited for graduate students in the DC area.
Your duties will include:
- Monitoring, researching, and providing weekly submissions of timelines on conflicts in your region;
- Monitoring, researching and providing monthly submissions of updates on the humanitarian, political and military aspects of your conflicts, as well as fatality figures;
- Ensuring that all aspects of the Armed Conflict Database relating to your region are adequately updated and accurate, including the conflict summary, background and links.
- A bachelor’s degree in political science, international relations, Russian studies, or related field -- a master’s degree or current enrolment in a master’s program is a plus;
- Fluency in Russian -- knowledge of other European and Eurasian languages an advantage;
- Excellent research, writing, editing, and analytical skills;
- Attention to detail and ability to work on tight deadlines;
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills and ability to work independently as well as part of a team;
- Authorization to work in the US. The IISS-US regrets that it cannot in any way assist with procuring visas or entry permits.
- Randolph Bell
To apply for this position, please email your résumé and cover letter to Randolph Bell, Managing Director, IISS-US at IISS-US@iiss.org by July 16 with the subject line “ACD Research Assistant”. Only candidates selected for further consideration or interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.