The African Forest Forum (AFF) is an association of individuals who share the pursuit and commitment to the sustainable management, use and conservation of the forest and tree resources of Africa for the betterment of the socio-economic wellbeing of its people and for the stability and improvement of its environment. The purpose of AFF is to provide a platform and create an enabling environment for independent and objective analysis, advocacy and advice on all relevant policy and technical issues pertaining to achieving sustainable management, use and conservation of Africa’s forest and tree resources as part of efforts to reduce poverty, protect the environment and promote economic and social development.
The African Forest Forum is recruiting for the position of a Programme Officer to be based at its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya, or at some other location, reporting to the Executive Secretary through the Senior Programme Officer.
Duties and responsibilities
- To assist the Senior Programme Officer in the coordination and implementation of activities on:
- Climate change as it relates to forest resources and livelihoods;
- The fuel-fibre-food nexus;
- Forest-water relations.
- To assist the Senior Programme Officer on any other duties and responsibilities as may be directed by the Executive Secretary.
- To represent the AFF, on behalf of the Executive Secretary, on matters relating to the above duties, and on any other matters as directed by the Executive Secretary and the Governing Council of AFF.
Minimum qualifications and skills
- Masters degree in forestry, environment, natural resources management or related area, plus a minimum of 5 years of post masters experience;
- Must have the capacity and demonstrated experience in the application of forest science to the management of natural resources;
- Must be a good team player;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in French with a working knowledge of English.
- Female applicants from the Congo Basin countries have an advantage.
Terms of offer
AFF and ICRAF are equal opportunity employers and offer a collegial and gender-sensitive working environment. The appointment will be for an initial period of three (3) years, beginning July 2012, with potential for extension subject to performance and availability of resources. Applicants are invited to send a cover letter illustrating their suitability for the above position against the listed qualifications, competencies, skills together with a detailed curriculum vitae, including names and addresses of three referees. All correspondence should be addressed to the Human Resources Unit, World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF), P.O. Box 30677, Nairobi, Kenya OR via email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be considered until 20th June 2012, and should indicate “Application for a Programme Officer - AFF” on their application letters and email submissions.
Only short-listed applicants meeting the above requirements will be contacted.
We invite you to learn more about AFF and ICRAF by accessing our web site: