The Drug Safety Research Unit (DSRU) in Southampton is a leading research unit that monitors the safety of marketed medicines. The Unit is associated with the University of Portsmouth and has a high national and international profile. DSRU Education and Research Ltd (DSRU E&R) was established in 2001 to maintain and raise the standards of pharmacovigilance by providing training of high academic standards at low cost and has become one of the leading providers of education and training in pharmacovigilance in Europe. DSRU E&R also offers postgraduate programmes in Pharmacovigilance in association with the University of Portsmouth and training towards the Drug Safety Surveillance module of Pharmaceutical Medicine Speciality Training with the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Medicine.
The DSRU is seeking to recruit a Head of Education, Training and University Relations to manage DSRU Education and Research Ltd. The post will suit an outgoing biomedical sciences graduate, though graduates of other subjects with relevant backgrounds and experience will be considered. While experience in biomedical sciences and in training provision is preferable, an interest in education and training is essential. A major task will be to work with the Director to develop a business development strategy to ensure the continued growth and success of DSRU E&R and the ideal candidate will be able to inject many of their own ideas into this process. A hands-on approach is necessary, for example, the successful candidate will be expected to visit pharmaceutical companies to ascertain whether DSRU E&R training meets their needs and to attend DSRU E&R courses to meet delegates.
What qualifications do I need?
- Good degree in biomedical sciences, though applicants with other relevant backgrounds will be considered
- Experience in a training role is desirable though not necessary
- Well-developed project management skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work under pressure
In addition, the successful applicant will be required to be a confident networker, self-motivated and able to work with little supervision.
- Manage running of current training courses
- Liaise with current and prospective speakers from the pharmaceutical industry and medicines regulators
- Develop new training opportunities
- Marketing of training courses and postgraduate programmes
- Manage running of PgC, PgD and MSc in Pharmacovigilance in association with University of Portsmouth
- Lead provision of training towards the Drug Safety Surveillance module of Pharmaceutical Medicine Speciality Training with the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Medicine.
This is a full-time position.
Salary will be in the region of £28,000 to £35,000 per annum depending on experience. A higher salary will be paid to outstanding candidates with relevant experience.
Informal enquiries to Professor Saad Shakir, Director: Tel: 023 8040 8600: email email@example.com
For further details of the application procedure please contact: Tel: 023 8040 8600: Mrs Rachel Green: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications: 22 February 2012