Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an independent, medical, emergency relief organisation that provides assistance to people worldwide, regardless of their background, religion or political convictions. Above all, we aim to save lives and to offer medical care to victims of disasters, wars and epidemics. Working together with local staff, we give direct support to the population. MSF also appeals to those in power, including governments and international organisations, and speaks out about the abuses we encounter in the course of our work. The Dutch organisation ‘Artsen zonder Grenzen’ (MSF-Holland) is a member of the international organisation ‘Médecins Sans Frontières’.
MSF Operational Centre Amsterdam (OCA) currently operates medical humanitarian interventions in 25 countries. On a yearly basis MSF-Holland deploys approximately 900 international staff and employs 6,100 national staff. At headquarters in Amsterdam, around 180 employees offer their support to the projects.
Per immediate, MSF OCA is looking for an experienced
COMMUNICATIONS ADVISOR (100%)
within the OSCAR platform of MSF OCA based in Amsterdam
The OSCAR platform (Operational Support from Communications, Advocacy and Reflection) has been devised as a mechanism to meet the need for intelligent, strategic and thoughtful deployment of MSF OCA's advocacy, communications and reflective capacity. OSCAR supports Country Management Teams, Operational Managers and the OCA Management Team in their efforts to navigate the organisation through critical operational challenges. It does so by bringing together the expertise of advisers in Humanitarian Affairs, Operational Communications and the Programmes Unit (HAD - OpsComms - PU).
The core responsibilities of OSCAR are:
• Operational (field and desk) support on advocacy and communications
• Institutional reflection on key humanitarian and medical dilemmas
• In-depth context analysis to support operations in critical environments
• Enhance the visibility, acceptance and leverage of MSF globally and locally
• Contribute to the development of organisational policies and practice
• Training of MSF field staff in humanitarian affairs and operational communications
• Engagement with external actors to represent MSF’s voice in critical humanitarian debates
All of OSCAR's activities are aimed at advancing MSF OCA's ability to identify and respond to violence, abuse, deliberate neglect and medical crises, ultimately contributing to the fulfillment of MSF’s social mission.
As part of the OSCAR platform, a team of 5 Communications Advisors (CAs) plays a key role in supporting MSF’s operations: developing and managing the implementation of broad reaching communications strategies; advising all levels of MSF OCA on communication issues, public positioning and messaging; producing and disseminating high quality effective communications materials for dissemination throughout the MSF network; responding to communications/media inquiries by the MSF communications network; and advising/supporting MSF’s communication response during emergencies.
- Advise MSF operations and MSF communications departments on communication issues, public positioning and messaging;
- Develop communications strategies - from within project countries to international level;
- Manage the implementation of strategies (including content production and dissemination);
- Liaise with operations (head office and country teams) to provide timely support and advice on communications;
- Liaise with communications counterparts throughout the MSF movement, to ensure coherence and effectiveness of MSF communications;
- Produce and disseminate pertinent and high quality communications materials;
- Facilitate communications/media requests from throughout the MSF movement;
- Provide communications trainings to MSF staff – from first missioners to Heads of Mission
- Contribute to the wider goals of OSCAR to provide intelligent, strategic and thoughtful support to operations on key issues, through the coming together of advocacy, communications and reflection.
Essential knowledge, skills and experience
We are looking for a communications expert with notable professional experience in guiding communications within the field of humanitarian aid, preferably within MSF.
Excellent strategic communication and advisory skills are essential, proven in a journalistic and/or public communication environment.
Good analytical skills, strategic thinking, and sound judgement in a high pressured environment are crucial to this position, as are successful negotiation and diplomatic skills.
A sound knowledge of humanitarian action, along with international affairs and media are a must, complimented by a good knowledge and strong affinity with the work of MSF.
You are a highly motivated and creative team player, who shows initiative and innovation.
You have the flexibility to respond to emergency communications needs, and international travel sometimes for a substantial period.
An excellent command of the English language is essential.
Desirable knowledge, skills and experience
French and/or Arabic and/or Spanish are highly appreciated.
Experience in digital content/multimedia production is an asset.
• Contract for one year with the possibility of renewal;
• Salary between € 2533 and € 3619, depending on relevant professional experience;
• 30 Holidays per year and a premium free pension;
• A stimulating challenge pushing forward developments in MSF communications.
For more information about this position please contact Diderik van Halsema, OCA Operational Communications Coordinator (interim), on Tel: + 31 (0)20 520 8711, Mobile: +44 (0)7960 867337 or email: email@example.com
How to apply?
If you are interested in this position and believe that you fit the profile and meet the requirements, please send your letter of application and curriculum vitae for the attention of Ms Amanda van Hoorn, Personnel Officer HQ, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please mention “Communications Advisor” in the subject line and where you came across the vacancy. The application deadline is 25 June 2012.