ONE is a global nonprofit organization dedicated to mobilizing public opinion and advocating policies to help the citizens of African and other developing nations fight extreme poverty and preventable disease. We have offices in Washington, DC, London, Berlin and Abuja. This position will work out of our Washington DC office.
ONE is looking to expand its US Government Relations team by adding several new Assistant Directors of Government Relations. These positions will develop and execute strategies to promote and defend ONE's positions on global health, agriculture, economic development and other issues related to helping African and other poor nations achieve the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) to U.S. policymakers. These positions will be required to register under the federal Lobbying Disclosure Act.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with the Senior Director and other team members to develop legislative program and strategy. Assist in setting strategic direction for the Government Relations team and make recommendations on related policies. Assist in establishing and implementing short and long range organizational goals, objectives, policies, and operating procedures with other teams within the organization.
- Develop and maintain relationships with Members of Congress and their staff and members of the Administration as needed to advance ONE's legislative priorities.
- Work effectively with a wide range of constituencies and partners in a diverse community of NGOs with common working legislative priorities.
- Represent ONE's positions externally with other nonprofits, public interest groups and other organizations.
- Manage specific projects and budgets relating to expanding recognition of the ONE brand amongst U.S. policy makers and foreign government representatives. Work with Senior Director to prepare a budget and see that the projects operate within budget guidelines. Report all budget and finance information to the Senior Director.
- Liaise with other teams within the organization to advise and service ONE membership on grassroots and field strategies and actions to advance legislative priorities.
- Work with the Senior Director and other staff in order to understand specific needs that could be met through lobbying activities.
- Mentor junior staff members to encourage growth, development and successful collaboration to achieve project and ONE goals
- Participate in projects, committees and task forces as assigned.
- Five+ years legislative or issue-advocacy experience and 2 years experience on Capitol Hill
- Bachelor's degree in political science, legislative affairs, or related field
- Strong Senate Republican ties
- Team-player with superior interpersonal and collaboration skills
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills, in particular with broad, diverse audiences
- Ability to multitask and prioritize a number of projects
- Strong existing relationships on Capitol Hill a huge plus
- Genuine interest and passion for ONE's issues and priorities
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to travel as needed (minimal)
ONE Campaign offers a salary commensurate with experience, a great benefits package and metro accessible location. Qualified candidates are asked to submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com. For more details, visit www.one.org. No phone calls please.